The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    SA will just put the ball up on VDM's wing all day.  That's an idiotic selection.

Not optimistic about the lineout either with Owens throwing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Momentum is important/vital in sport.  The Rassie rant switched the momentum to the Boks.  The Lions will need to surpass themselves if they are to win on Saturday.  A win is possible but the momentum favours the Boks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    the whole Rassie thing is tricky. As a lot of saffers have been saying, it's what coaches like Gats, EJ etc have been doing for years, but really on steroids. Personally I found the whole thing very distasteful, and I hope this is the last we see of it. It's not a good image a game that is supposed to be about values should be putting out there IMO.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I do think we should have kept Itoje back on bench and I would have played George at Hooker to be honest with LCD on bench. 
    Beard is 6’9 and over 18st, AWJ is 6’6” and over 19st, Itoje is far more dynamic and suited to a more open game in last 30mins, still 6’6” but just over 17st.
    It’s not just the front rows that need to be solid, the second row gives them the power which as you can see with SA using extra lock on Saturday changed the power of scrum dramatically in favour of SA.
    I wish we had taken some different centres too, think Devoto from Exeter would have done a good job, good ball player and a fair old lump.
    biggest worry for me is the back row as I’m not sure there is enough stopping power there. 
    Itoje is our best player.  Without him, we would have lost the first game.  If you want to get Beard in, then AWJ ia trhe one who needs to be dropped.  @Gassage suggested dropping him for Henderson in his piece on Planet Rugby.  He is past his best.  He played well in the first test, but he's at the age where he can't play 80 minutes week in week out at his best.  Recovery time is longer.

Apart from VDM not being part of it, it seems we all have different views on the best team.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302

biggest worry for me is the back row as I’m not sure there is enough stopping power there. 
    I think Curry had a mediocre game last Saturday (only based on watching the highlights). I think Navidi would have been a good swap but that's not to be.  Faletau is obviously off form at the mo but the back row needs more dynamism. Simmonds has to be given a good chance to impress. So I'd bring him on at 45-50. He should have started then if it wasn't working Conan could have come back. 

Beard has improved massively in the last three years I do hope he is given the opportunity. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Close match. I did yell out "No" when Ali Price put that box kick in but we had other chances so can't complain.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I thought SA were slightly the better team over 3 games, so a close win is fair.

think it harsh when you nearly have a pushover try , and the resulting defensive scrum gets a tenuous penalty .  Those sorts of things always look harsh whatever the level of the game 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Morne Steyn, again.

This was a strange Lions tour and I suppose we should be thakful that it passed without a major problem, but was it a good advert for top-flight rugby? If the sport becomes a box-kicking competition with the occasional scrum it won't attract new fans.
    scrumhalf said:
    Morne Steyn, again.

This was a strange Lions tour and I suppose we should be thakful that it passed without a major problem, but was it a good advert for top-flight rugby? If the sport becomes a box-kicking competition with the occasional scrum it won't attract new fans.

They have to do something.

It won't fix it on its own but limiting the number of subs would help.  Maybe do it football style where you can only use 3 of the players on the bench.  You would have to keep the subs for injuries then.  Front row forwards would have to be fit enough to last 80 minutes.  You couldn't do the SA bomb squad thing with 6 fresh forwards on the bench.  It would mean more space at the end of the game as defences tire.

The big guys would have to put more emphasis on cardio rather than power in training, so would be a bit lighter.  Making the players smaller might help bring smaller quicker backs back into the game.  That would liven it up.  You just don't see Shane Williams type players any more.

The first 50 or 60 minutes would probably still be dire until defences tired but I don't know what else you could do.  A radical change like reducing teams to 12 or 13 a side would make a lot more space, but doing that would have a knock on effect on players at lower levels.  The elite players would have the fitness to cover the pitch with less players, but the players at lower levels wouldn't.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1374
    The argument for limiting the number of subs has been growing for some time. I have no idea though whether the games administrators are discussing/considering or whether it’s even on the agenda. The by product may be fitter players and a lower impact game. 

But I am aware that in school and minis /juniors, there are rules that dictate everyone on the bench gets a game. Great in theory, but devalues the game IMO. Why take a team of players plus 6? Or 8? It erodes standards and less game time. One thing I know with certainty from my time in coaching at club and district level is kids don’t want a game for all. They want to win. They bloody hate being subbed at half time when they are winning just so everyone on the bench gets a game….. and go on to lose. 

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Perhaps the new kicking rule coming in will create some space. 
    edited August 2021
    sev112 said:
    Perhaps the new kicking rule coming in will create some space. 
    that is certainly the intent, hopefully something they'll do will work. I am opposed to reducing the number of players, the last thing we want is to turn union into league, but something needs to be done to stop the stifling playstyle of the boks. 
    Rugby can be entertaining, the Bledisloe cup produced 5 (EDIT:6) tries between the 2 teams, and if we look at the recent final between Exeter and Quins, that was a veritable try fest, so there is hope, but the administrators need to ensure the game goes in the right direction.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23959
    New Zealand v Australia first 10 mins had more action than the entire Lions series.

It’s a cracking game. Half time now.

Also showing that Saints really wasted Andrew Kellaway. He’s back on the Aus wing and playing excellently.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    All Blacks looking very good. But where's thw endless box kicking? 
    This prop should never have to buy another drink as long as he lives:

Scrum half accidentally punched by opposition prop at scrum time | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    This prop should never have to buy another drink as long as he lives:

Scrum half accidentally punched by opposition prop at scrum time | RugbyDump - Rugby News & Videos

If only it was Austin Healy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SA 25 Aus 28, never been so happy to see Aus winning anything. Can't wait to see what whines and whinges the bok fans come out with now.

• ha ha hahahahahahaha!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
    I finally gave in  and bought Quins season tickets for my son and I. Last night vs Bristol was one of the most exciting games I’ve ever seen, including the semi and final last season. A quasi-religious experience to be back in a full house crowd at a rugby match. What a team. Sooooooooooo good to be back to live sport