The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Even though Ireland lost the match, at least we put it up to them.  In  manner that perhaps they were not expecting.  Now we need to learn how to grind the game into the ground for the last ten minutes - the way England did for so long.  So near - it only goes to show that the game is not over till it is over.

Proud but unbowed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    I'd buy win ugly but England lost - that's my point. Unless the backs get a chance to play they'll never develop .. we might as well put 15 forwards on the pitch and play roadblock rugby .. :-)
    Anything less than a 40-point drubbing was a win, as far as I'm concerned :D
    England played like a rugby league team.

After the rugby, football and cricket maybe England should just give up competitive team sports - we're frankly shit at it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    tbm said:
    I feel sick. Donal Leninhen said on Friday that you can play above your best against BNZ and still lose. That's what happened. Sexton's penalty miss, Murray kicking possession away with 20 secs left on the clock. It all contributed, but there was an inevitability about it. We didn't score after the 33rd minute. Still, it was cruel but you have to play for 80 and we didn't. Another glorious nearly day for Irish Rugby. I had to listen to the last 10 mins in the car as I was shouting and scaring my kids. This will take a few days to get over.
    The Irish were unlucky .. good game of rugby though.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Rocker said:
    Even though Ireland lost the match, at least we put it up to them.  In  manner that perhaps they were not expecting.  Now we need to learn how to grind the game into the ground for the last ten minutes - the way England did for so long.  So near - it only goes to show that the game is not over till it is over.

Proud but unbowed.

I hate this we did well etc , You lost and that's the be all and end all, I am sick to death of Wales being gallant losers against the top teams, you should be as well. Forget we almost had them ect, all anyone will remember is NZ won, again.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24204
    2nd place is the first loser.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    edited November 2013
    I hate this we did well etc , You lost and that's the be all and end all, I am sick to death of Wales being gallant losers against the top teams, you should be as well. Forget we almost had them ect, all anyone will remember is NZ won, again.
    Totally. It's complete bo!!ox. I don't think we were unlucky either. People were cribbing about the fact the Cruden got a second stab at the conversion, denying Ireland a draw. A draw would have been no use to anyone. We had the ball with 20 odd seconds left! Now, I don't think it's as simple to say we choked, becuase most other teams wouldn't have the composure and skill to score that last try. But we lost, they won, end of story. One team had the goods that allowed them to go on and make history. Sean O'Brien was absolutly livid after the game. It was good to see.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    Fretwired said:
    The Irish were unlucky .. 
    does this mark the need to re-write lore ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    any players on here ?
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

edited November 2013
    Jaden said:
    any players on here ?
    ex -  Centre and Fly-Half.     county/regional at  2 school-boy levels / county at colts and U21 - went down hill a bit  after that   :D 
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    edited November 2013
    Ex center and coach
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited November 2013
    Jaden said:
    any players on here ?
    Many moons ago. As you know, it's the main reason my knees and shoulders are screwed...

EDIT: Winger, for the record.
    <space for hire>
    Ex. Flanker.
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    awesome !
    I was a 16 stone winger for years, then I dislocated my hip... and became a blind side flanker, which I still am, at 43 :)

there is no game on the planet like it..  I really should give it up but that would be sensible ;)
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

The year before I was due to start it in school it was dropped due to lack of interest. There are no clubs near where I live so I never got to play, but the only sport we watched in our house growing up was 5 Nations rugby and championship hurling. I take my 3yo to Rugby Tots every week now so I'm living vicariously though him! 

@koneguitarist and any other Welsh fans, with the Ian Evans to Tulon signing it's looking very likely that Halfpenny and I'd imagine Adam Jones amongst others, will be playing they're rugby outside Wales next year. I know the regions havn't been a particularly successful experiment, but does the average Welsh fan care where the Wales frontliners play their club rugby? They get flogged in France so it's bound to impact the national set up. Jonny Sexton has played more rugby at this stage of the season then he played all last year. I'd be amazed if he's not injured for the 6 Nations.

• Sometimes the change is good, Stephen Jones and Alfie came back better players. Point is they should go for two or three years straight after a World Cup then comeback in time for next one, so for one year, they can be assessed and fully under control of International coach. This would in effect, allow Wales to blood new players for internationals and they would also get more time at regional level, thereby creating a bigger depth of players. Not sure the Irish model of contracted players would work in Wales, but something has to be done. It's getting like the 80's all over again, instead of losing our players to League it's other countries.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ex center and coach
    you played in america ?    or just rely on spell checker  ;)
    Another cracker yesterday, and another NH loss. I've never rated Preistland and some of his decision making at the end was poor. A bit of patience and I think another try would have come. With the Adam Jones and the 1st choice centres back - and Biggar at 10 - Wales will be very hard to beat come February. 

Quade Cooper though? He's unplayable in that form. How was Robbie Deans retained for so long? 

• It was a great game, but I find Gatland's bitching about the ref in particularly poor taste. Wales lost to a far better side, IMO - I started watching from about 20 minutes, and (scoreline at the time aside) it didn't look at any point like Wales were the stronger team.

In fact, the way Australia were attacking from everywhere and the individual moments of sheer brilliance reminded me very much of the All Blacks. The spilled balls in the final stages of almost every attack, mind you, did not ;)
    <space for hire>
    George North.

I am very glad he's usually in Saints colours!
    anyone see the Exeter - Bath game ?    what a couple of scores from the Exeter 2nd rows (one each !!)  the first was a better finish than a saints winger  

;)