Harmonica Players

What's Hot
Ive decided to lay off the guitar for a bit as recent health issues mean my coordination is all over the place plus I get painful tendonitis in my left arm when Im playing so recently picked up a Marine Band Harp and a couple of bluesy harp books. So far Im getting a half way decent noise out of it :)

Anyone else on the forum play harmonica?

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    No, but I'd like to learn to play one.

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    So far it seems fairly simple. The challenges for me as a total noob is remembering when to breathe in and out and the fact that of the 3 books Ive got 1 has a different way of notating when to breathe in/out. Otherwise its a lot of fun :D

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I've played harmonica for years. I found listening to good players a lot more helpful than any books.
    I was in a band with a really good player and he gave me some handy tips as well.
    There are quite a few forums as well that cover all the different techniques developed over the years.
    The Marine Band is the best one to start with. Easy to hold and simple to play.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Once you get right into harmonica, it becomes quite addictive and you'll end up wanting to buy them in different keys.
  • Apparently you have to play in a different key to play in the same key as everyone else ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5424
    edited August 2015
    Phil_aka_Pip;734326" said:
    Apparently you have to play in a different key to play in the same key as everyone else ...
    This is kind of true. To play the blues scale it's easiest to play in second position, so if you want to play in E you'll need a harmonica in A.

It's one of these things that seems simple- you can sound competent quickly, but its incredibly tough to master.

For online lessons I thoroughly recommend Adam Gussow and (my tutor) Tomlin Leckie- both on YouTube.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    Very crudely, although sometimes that works well.
    Getting accurate on bending and things like head rolls need practice and some keys are more difficult than others ( physical thing with stiffer reeds rather than a musical thing).
    Using them live can be a PIA and there is a whole new world of GAS ( mics and amps especially).
    You usually can't beat the classic Chicago blues guys - Sonny Boy Williamson, Little Walter, anyone who played with Muddy Waters- with an emphasis on simple melodies.
    John Popper is fun, sort of blues shred harmonica!
    The British guy (Giles?) who plays with Lightnin Willie is a good contemporary blues player, does workshops n stuff.
    Actually, I can't remember the last time I picked one up! 8-X
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    All this talk of playing in keys is confusing. What are 'keys'?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Took to it very easily, I mean the bends and wails warbling between notes and stuff.  Very easy to play like you know what you're doing.  Although I also took to Violin very easily. 

Very hard to play well though I imagine.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    chillidoggy;734396" said:
    All this talk of playing in keys is confusing. What are 'keys'?
    I might be wrong as Ive only just got started but the diatonic C harmonica Ive got is actually used to play in the key of G. Im yet to fathom out why but Ill ask Uncle Google :)

Thanks for all the tips and hints especially about who to listen to. Ill be sure to look them up as Im better at learning by listening. I very much doubt Ill end up playing through an amp as its more something musical to play since Im having a guitar hiatus :)

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I've always wanted to hire a harmonica player, then give him a harmonica in the wrong key and then tell him he sucks.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    If you play G on a C diatonic it's basically G mixolydian ie you have a dominant 7th like in a typical guitar blues chord. You could play over a blues in C but you'd need to be more careful about note selection.
    I seem to recall that Jimmy Reed only used one harmonica, although he played almost entirely in A or E anyway.

Sonny Boy Williamson ( sometimes known as Sonny Boy Williamson II, although I was a more obscure unrelated player) usually had quite a natural tone, didn't use the amped up tones of some of the other Chicago players. Lots of covers of his stuff but his originals are well worth seeking out, the wonderful transition between his harp and his voice.

Whilst I'm here - Nine Below Zero still gig and Mark Feltham is properly good, lots of sessions as well as the band.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    Harmonica, the reason most guitarist tune down a semi tone so the pub landlord can't join in on harp
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
  • I recommend Lee Oskar harmonicas- they're easy to take apart to clean & seem more airtight than Marine Band ones. (The plastic comb is less susceptible to moisture than the wooden ones too).

Golden Melodys are good too- but don't seem to like staying in my neck holder as much as the Lee Oskars do.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Where I come from, you don't play no harp, you don't get no pussy.
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
    It's all getting way too complicated. I'm out.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Used to play a bit..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    Even fat boys can make it in Santa Monica,
    Where the white surf meets the sand.
    You don't have to play the harmonica,
    Or be in a rock'n'roll band.
    Sibelius said:
    Where I come from, you don't play no harp, you don't get no pussy.
    Where do you live? I wants me some pussy :D