the Junction, Cambridge?

What's Hot
I seem to have free tickets to see Dr Feelgood there in December. Hardly just down the road for me but Mrs Theweary has agreed to accompany me if we take Eric Jr Jr and stay in Cambridge overnight and look around Cambridge the next day.
So, any tips on the venue, where to stay and what to see in Cambridge ( that will fascinate a middle aged couple and a13 year old boy)?
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

There's a hotel right next to the venue, and a bowling alley.

If junior/Mrs likes aircraft then IWM Duxford is just a couple of miles away.

The city centre has some nice buildings

What sort of things do Mrs and Junior like?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l;73023" said:
    There's a hotel right next to the venue, and a bowling alley.If junior/Mrs likes aircraft then IWM Duxford is just a couple of miles away.The city centre has some nice buildings What sort of things do Mrs and Junior like?
    ooh, what's the name of the hotel? I was looking up stuff on late rooms and the nearest seemed to be the holiday inn.
    We quite like historical stuff and my son likes modern/ graphic art ( as well as the pleasures of being a stroppy 13 year old).
  • Google came up with the Helen Hotel nearby but that looks a bit pants. :-<
  • vizviz Frets: 11026
    Mooch around the town, go punting, enjoy the beautiful colleges in the freshly fallen snow, meet up with me and the lads (Mike, BJ, Monq, ES, Phil aka musophilr, photek, have I missed anyone?) for a drink somewhere followed by a heavy metal jam at a blues night somewhere.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz;73126" said:
    Mooch around the town, go punting, enjoy the beautiful colleges in the freshly fallen snow, meet up with me and the lads (Mike, BJ, Monq, ES, Phil aka musophilr, photek, have I missed anyone?) for a drink somewhere followed by a heavy metal jam at a blues night somewhere.
    I think looking at the colleges a bit is likely. Might take some persuading to get Mrs Theweary and Eric Jr Jr to meet some strange men off the internet though...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

This

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/255/Cambridge-Central-hotel

it's on the same site.

Having a walk round the universities/backs  is worthy of a couple of hours.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    edited November 2013
    mike_l;73133" said:
    Thishttp://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/255/Cambridge-Central-hotelit's on the same site.Having a walk round the universities/backs  is worthy of a couple of hours.
    excellent. For one night a Travelodge should be okay
    viz;73126" said:
    I think looking at the colleges a bit is likely. Might take some persuading to get Mrs Theweary and Eric Jr Jr to meet some strange men off the internet though...
    Viz and Jon aren't that strange.....

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    http://www.theearlofderby.co.uk/ is a good place to stay just over the bridge from the junction.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you like staying awake all night to the sound of BJ and Mike rockin out.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    If you like staying awake all night to the sound of BJ and Mike rockin out.
    Oh, I nearly forgot that's where we did Enter Sandman..........I believe the last song played at the EoD jam...........

:)
  • ClingyClingy Frets: 19
    The juntion is my favourie venue. I have been to many a venue....from wembly to glastonbury, still thinking the junction is the best.  If you are lucky enough to have a band that you like, visit...it's win win.  Most recently we saw Everything Everything there.....just so much better than anywhere else.

We are fairly local so Cambridge is also a favourite....you will love it.  Fitzwilliam museum is a must see if you like that sort of thing

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We left it late to book anything. The Earl was fully booked and the Travelodge has terrible reviews ( even for a Travelodge) so we stayed at the Days Inn at Cambridge services. We didn't really have time to go around Cambridge in the day so a 220 mile round trip broken up by a gig and a bad nights sleep. Great little venue though. Shame its not nearer!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    isnt Feelgood without Lee and Wilks  a bit like The Stones without Jagger and Keef ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I guess basically an official tribute. I saw them with Lee many moons ago but this is as close as you can get to the real thing now. Perfectly enjoyable, lot of energy for a bunch of old men.
  • Just reading up - current guitarist Steve Walwyn played with the last line up with Lee so he is the missing link. He did a fine job FWIW