SITE UPDATE: Subscriptions are now available, for image uploads and no ads. Check the sticky thread in Recent Discussions for more info.
Prompted by some recent debates, and 2 years of experience since we had our first attempt at defining rules, we're refreshed and simplified our rules.
This is a forum, not a courtroom. We don’t want to write rules any more than you want to read them. Help us keep the rules simple by keeping to the rules.
- Don’t be a dick. This is the most important rule. Every other rule is just this one in more detail.
- Don’t be nasty. That means being personally and deliberately insulting, aggressive or vindictive towards any other member or group. This absolutely includes being abusive, and it includes sending direct messages for the purpose of abusing somebody.
- You are allowed one userID. Signing up with more will result in a perma-ban.
- Remember the forum is public. Don’t post anything that might get others (or yourself) in trouble if they’re browsing the site from work or a public computer.
- Do not use the forum for anything illegal or libellous. We really don’t want to have to pass your details on to “authorities” that request them. But we will if they do.
- If you want to talk about sex, religion or other topic likely to be contentious, do it somewhere else.
- If you think someone else is breaking a rule, flag it for modmin attention. But be aware that won’t always act just because something is flagged.
- Pitchfork-bearing, vigilante mobs and witch-hunts don’t often help. The admin team may well suspend this rule for any confirmed instances of attempts to scam our community.
- Threatening legal action against the forum puts the whole site at risk; if you do this, you don't get to continue enjoying access to the forum. Ergo...this is a perma-ban-with-no-take-backsies offence (although you'll be given an email address where you can continue the conversation, because we play nice with the law), and we'll probably post in the main forum to that effect.
9b: You should also be aware, if you're thinking about threatening legal action, that any such threats will be posted publicly as an explanation of why any content was removed - consider such actions carefully, based on the Streisand Effect, and decide for yourself whether it might be better to contact the author of any contentious comments directly and come to an agreement amicably.
- If you want us to disable your account, we'll happily do that. What we won't do is delete your content, unless it's defamatory or otherwise illegal. This is a discussion forum, and it lives and breathes by its ability to present content in a consistent fashion, and so all historical content is required for "processing" (as it's defined under the law). We can, of course, delete your personally-identifiable data (as defined under the GDPR), but only as it pertains to you personally. If you sign up as your business, the GDPR doesn't apply.
Remember that this is just the internets. If you're getting angry, walk away for a bit. Whatever it is, it won’t be quite so important after you’ve had your bit.
Breaches of the rules will be dealt with by the modmin team and might consist of the deletion of the offending content, moving a thread (to BCD), a warning, cooler time (temporary loss of membership) or a permanent ban. Not necessarily in that order.
There are additional rules that apply to the Classifieds sections.