The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
I've been in and out of serious cycling for a few years, but now I've moved up north with so much fantastic singletrack and Bike Parks, it'd be rude not to get back into it! 
Just looking to re-frame and gear my current ride as its a bit too Jumpy and free ridey to pedal almost anywhere uphill. 

(Hopefully that works, on iPad right now) 

Looking to sell the DMR Bolt frame for about 350, and buy a used Cotic Bfe and full shimano XT 1x11 transmission. 
I can get the bfe frame for about £175 so it should be possible to do the transmission with the change (I think, maybe a bit more) 

Any other Mountain Bikers up Edinburgh way? I could do with some company to show me the pentlands etc. only really familiar with Glentress and Inners.

Who rides what then?
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Aha thanks @Fretwired (I presume the wow was you?) I think the frame was the only valuable bit of it - the components were either given to me in lieu of cash as payment for my services as a Suspension machanic for my pals, or really damn cheap.

Bars + Grips + saddle + pedals were all free
    Cranks were up traded 
    Bash guard + chain guide were £30 with a free SRAM XO 36t front chain ring thrown in
    Brakes were £60 used Shimano SLX's
    Wheels were £150 used inc tires + discs
    Forks were £170 
    Transmission was carried over from a previous bike

Its worth way more than I paid for it in parts value
    'Awibble'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    The forks were the real surprise though, made by SR Suntour as their first attempt at a high performance long travel fork. They basically ripped the design of the FOX 36's and stuck it in there at 1/8th the price. Its not even that heavy 
    'Awibble'
  • i have ridden various bikes for most of my life (am 40 now). 

although i don't ride anything like as much as i used to (partly depression/laziness e.t.c) i have always loved bikes and cycling.

i have owned a few bikes over the years (can even remember my first tricycle i had as a toddler.it was blue with a white plastic seat with a pink elephant sticker on it  
    :D

i really got into cycling though when i got a dawes ascent mtb back in 1988.i bloody loved that bike,even though it weighed a ton/with grips harder than a Glaswegian bouncer. did my first 100 mile ride on it when i was 13,and back just in time to watch the tdf on channel four.

since then i have owned various bikes (list below/that i can remember)

1992 marin eldridge grade
    1994 specialized stumpjumper m2 ht
    then a gap whilst beer/smoking and motorized transport took over.

i did own a 1998 marin mount vision xt full sus in 1998,but alas not for very long (about 2 weeks),as sadly my grandfather died from a stroke (and he had kindly put it in his name for the loan,so i returned it back to shop.
    fast forward to 2002  and an awesome matt black cannondale F800 ht with lefty fork.man i loved that bike (i even did my longest ever ride on it 205 miles in a day (was a bit fitter back then than now   
    :( 

then in a moment of stupidity i sold it (and have regretted it ever since)

around 2004-5 bought a mongoose fireball as a runaround.

2006 specialized stumpjumper fsr comp.

2007 exchanged the fsr comp frame for an s works ht carbon frame.

2010 specialized stumpjumper fsr comp 140mm travel version,duly p/xed towards

2010 giant anthem x2 100mm fs

2011 charge duster mid ht (which i still have as my only bike now atm)

2012 wtp zodiac bmx (in another moment of stupidity/am not a bmx'er at all as my lack of skillz will testify to)

2012 specialized tarmac sport carbon road bike (which i loved but sold to buy an ibanez s 420 wb guitar/now also sold  
    :\">

i think that about covers it for the moment ;-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33786
    edited October 2015
    Fairly serious cyclist here, although I am in Oxfordshire.

I have a Whyte 629 29'er, Focus Mares Cyclocross and a Spec Tarmac roadie.
    Looking for a full sus at the moment, probably going for a Merida.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5461
    edited October 2015
    I've got two Specialized bikes but not been out much this year.
    S-Works hardtail and a Stumpjumper FSR Elite full-sus.

I usually use the woods near me, but have been down to Laggan Wolftrax and Glenlivet which are both great. I'd really like to do Golspie some time.

It was a gorgeous evening after work today - 20C! - so I went out for a wee country jaunt

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited October 2015
    For routes you could check out MapMyRide - there looks like there's a decent route starting out from Currie that runs into the Pentlands http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/currie-sct/

Even though I'm from darn saarf I've done a route around the Pentlands, and it's well worth it. Would still like to have a go at some of the seven stanes.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Just got road bikes at the moment. Beat one is an Orbea Orca with SRAM Red and carbon wheels. Weighs nothing and goes like shit. (What Team Euskatel used in the 2013 tour bought half price in 2014).

Loads of good places near Edinburgh to take mountain bikes, although highland Perthshire is more spectacular.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    I'm somewhat involved in bikes.

I work at 18 Bikes in the Peak District, mainly in the workshop and I'm chief wheelbuilder.

As for what I ride, my mountain bike is a Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon with a fairly nice spec. I've also got a Genesis Vapour cross bike and a Genesis Equilibrium road bike with full Ultegra and Chris King etc.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    edited February 2021
    Thought I re-surface this thread rather than start a new one. 

I did my first road ride of the new year yesterday, 30 miles @13.5mph av,  I was shattered, not playing squash over the winter didn't do my fitness any favours, hopefully will be able to get back out soon.

I rode just over 2,200 miles last year and would like to beat it this year
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    My first outdoor ride of the year was this morning.  A flat 30k in just over an hour. 

My riding since October has been exclusively on the turbo so I’ve managed to keep a semblance of fitness. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1809
    edited February 2021
    I'm loving the biking.
    Sadly since lockdown the offroad stuff is in Weymouth and I am in S Oxfordshire (not known as the capital of RAD). Just had a good ride this morning and spent a couple of hours cleaning the two road machines as I'm about to sell the full on carbon one.

My toys at the moment...
    Big bouncy Cannondale with wheels and bars upgraded to carbon. A decent long Reverb dropper in there and a Butcher/Slaughter combo tubeless. Brakes swapped out to Hope 4 pots and the drivetrain is now XT11 speed with an XTR shifter. Got nicked but I got it back three weeks later all perfectly intact and undamaged.

Rigid Cannondale, has an eccentric bottom bracket so it is occasionally run as a singlespeed. Brilliant for the Berkshire Ridgeway and general hooning about:

Bouncy but no suspension On One:

Lockdown road rocket, Planet X Carbon Evo Disc. Tubeless Scwalbe on upgraded wheelset.

My current favourite. Lightweight belt drive madness all rounder for everything from commuting to off road/gravel riding- BMC MC01 Team Machine with Hunt Aero Light wheels and a lot of Easton carbon bits running 28c Conti 5000 tubeless:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited February 2021
    I used to be pretty serious about mtb but haven't really had many chances to ride since our kids came along. Hoping in a few years some more spare time will open up when they're less demanding! I spent summer 2011 in Whistler riding the bike park every day, working my way up to the blacks/double blacks by the end of it. Not sure I could ride those trails any more! Crank It Up is just the most fun thing ever.

I now mostly just ride my road bike on rollers in the garage in the evenings just for fitness these days. Did manage to get out for a bit yesterday though, it's much better riding for real! Now the evenings are getting nicer will try to do it more often.

Bike wise I have a CAAD8 for road and Dartmoor Hornet for MTB. I regret selling my YT Wicked, was a really fun bike and could go up as well as it did down. Hardtails just aren't as fun, even for milder trails I prefer having both ends of the bike doing the same thing - when my daughter is out of the child seat I'll be getting another FS frame I think!
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    drofluf said:
    My first outdoor ride of the year was this morning.  A flat 30k in just over an hour. 

My riding since October has been exclusively on the turbo so I’ve managed to keep a semblance of fitness. 

I was thinking about an indoor trainer, but got myself a pair of running shoes, it was the less of two evils for me.

Like the Cannondale, On one and BMC, my mates got himself a Norco gravel bike, i was thinking of getting something to replace my old Claude Butler which sadly had to go
  • I did a flattish 30k yesterday on trails. I'm still using my old Mongoose Tyax but because I grew up on steel road bikes it still feels pretty light to me :)

I've been looking at gravel bikes but need to line a few things up financially before I can go there. Some lovely bikes on here again. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Apart from a couple of days earlier this year when there was black ice I've commuted to work every day since Lockdown 1.0, managed over 4K miles last year. Been using the Wahoo Kickr for longer "rides" over the Winter months though.

Current bike is a Cannondale CAAD8 with Fulcrum wheels and just ordered some Conti GP5000's 28mm, should be more comfy for when the weather gets more clement.

Tempted by a new "something carbon" later this year, currently torn between a 'Dale, Cervelo or Pinarello, problems, problems, haha!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1809
    Hardtails just aren't as fun, even for milder trails I prefer having both ends of the bike doing the same thing

I totally agree. Full bounce or rigid for me. I had a Fatty with a Bluto fork and hated it so went back to rigid.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    Brio said:
    Hardtails just aren't as fun, even for milder trails I prefer having both ends of the bike doing the same thing

I totally agree. Full bounce or rigid for me. I had a Fatty with a Bluto fork and hated it so went back to rigid.

Brio said:

I actually found that the Bluto transformed my Puffin; gave me a lot more confidence on steeper rutted sections.