The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4209
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 349
    I don't have this but the reviews and write up look interesting

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    edited December 2021
    I did originally baulk at the price, but my Gore C5 1985 Shakedry jacket is hands down the best cycling clothing purchase I've made. Even when I first got it I was like "been ripped off here" until I went out in it in the wet. How such an apparently flimsy item can be so water/ wind proof is boggling!

Layer up underneath and you're good in all weathers.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • LogieLogie Frets: 447
    I've been OK with my over shoes and winter gloves but I'm done now for a month or so. Started off with the intention of doing 3000+ miles this year and ended up doing 2000 :)
    It's in the shed for a rest now!
  • MellishMellish Frets: 951
    Any decent cycling jacket will do. The one I mentioned is £180+ and you obviously don't need to spend that much to be warm. But going out in this weather with just a normal cycling top...well, no wonder you went home early! :) 
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    If those jackets look a bit spendy there are a couple of options you can use to get the same stuff cheaper.

There's a wiggle eBay outlet called Tri Sport Resort that sells off customer returns. They often have cycling jackets on there (Castelli etc)  which are much cheaper than RRP and often have just been tried on then returned.  It's a bit hit and miss as you're purely at the mercy of individual items that customers have returned but you often see bargains on there.

Also, there's a website called Sport Pursuit that quite often has really good sales of cycling gear, Rapha and Gore often blow stuff out on there much cheaper than I've seen anywhere (and there were a lot of cheap Lake shoes on there recently) so that could also be worth a look??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1272
    For MTB, I've been lucky in that my last two two jackets I never paid for.
    The current one is a Nukeproof - Nukeproof Blackline 2.5L Packable Jacket SS21 | Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com) and it is a good jacket, but I'd never personally spend that much on a jacket.
    Previous, which lives in my backpack for unexpected showeres, is just a thin packable one.

Personally though, for MTB I prefer a cheap jacket, as it's only one crash/branch away from being torn.
    The weather has got to be pretty bad, either torrential rain or exposed to a cold wind for a prolonged period, before I resort to a jacket, as I prefer just using multiple breathable layers. So when I do resort to wearing a jacket, I just prefer something thin that keeps the wind and rain out.
    A Merry Christmas to all our cycling friends, leisure and competitive. Easy on the food, wheels can only take so much weight ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A mate of mine builds and sells bikes,  I part-exed my hybrid for a Planet X carbon frame gravel bike with a mixture of 105 and Sora gears, X-Tech disc brakes. I was surprised at how well the gears shifted and the brakes are equal to rim brakes.

Have done just about 300 miles on it this year, it is really nice to ride, I will miss the comfort when I get back on the road bike

@Jaycee ; - why will you miss comfort when switching to your road bike? :) 
    Mellish said:
    @Jaycee ; - why will you miss comfort when switching to your road bike? :) 

' Cos  I am and old git and I prefer comfort over aerodynamics =) Hopefully won't be as bad as I am expecting
    Oh OK =) 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Did 22 miles Friday 18th in prep for a local club ride on Sunday 20th. It was only my 4th ride of the year and second that week. As a result I ended up exhausted and in pain.
    So I booked myself a fitting session for my old (new to me) Gary Fischer road bike.
    minor adjustments on seat and a lowering of the bars. Hope to get out on it to see if it makes a difference in the next few days. I’m too old and fat to take it serious but I enjoy a nice ride.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    Tangent!

Ms Goldtop's saddle clamping hardware broke. The M8 screw/bolt sheared off. It's the sort of arrangement you can see in this image (from an Ebay auction):

I salvaged the two bits that clamp onto the saddle runners, but the nut and bolt are AWOL. I've found the right cap-head bolt, but the nut is not a normal nut (as you can see). It's a shaped bit of metal, tapped for 8mm thread.

Any ideas where to find such a thing? Or am I SOL and will have to buy the clamp+hardware set?
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4209
    Think the nut may be specific to the clamp design? So different shape clamps may have different nuts.

Given the possible consequences of it failing mid ride I’d get the clamp and hardware.
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010
    Dead on 100 km for me today. Up the Rhondda, so 900 m of climbing. Great weather - still cold, but much lighter layers needed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @goldtop ; - Is Ms Goldtop a leisure cyclist? If so, weight isn't that important, but I'd still ditch that you've shown and get her a saddle post with attached part to take the saddle rails. A basic one should be out there for around £30 :) 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    The 'nut' seems to be a simple cylinder with an M8 thread tapped through it. 

@Mellish - yes, we're weekend (2-3hr) cyclists around the flatlands of Cambridge. Our other bike has a different clamping arrangement, wherein the clamps are vertical (two pairs of clamp pieces, instead of the single pair here). We're both trying to reduce our consumerism, which is why I'd like to find the right nut instead of throw away what we have and buy a replacement set.

Halfords had nothing, so I'll stop by a local bike guy tomorrow and see if he has something to spare from his parts bin for some beer money.
    ^^^ OK mate. Hope you find what you're looking for :)