The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    Did my first 50 miler today, and tha'ts the highlight, took a chance on the weather......Rain, headwind for 30 miles, snow, hail and got trapped between the Bristol Chanel and a huge raincloud which was going nowhere, it just hovered over me for two hours, cold, wet and numb I missed Neros by 15 minutes for a coffee, fortunately Costa closed 30 min later. Re-vitalized I carried on and got home wet, cold and numb, apart from that strangely enough I did enjoy it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1231
    @Jaycee there is something strangely enjoyable about those kinds of rides.

I managed my first 100km of the year today. Well actually 114km.
    Was sunnier than forecast, but I did think I was going to get soaked on the return home as there was a big black cloud looming where I was heading, but luckily only got caught in snow for about 5 minutes.

I opted for some 3/4 bibs, and I'm not sure if my calves are now sun burnt, or frost bitten :-/
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    You put me to shame! Managed two 11k rides with the kids, but that does involve pulling them up hills using a tow-whee and it's pretty steep here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not done any big outside rides yet this year, but have done my 8 mile commute everyday since lockdown 1.0. Did a few 100k's last year and planning on more once the weather improves. All my long rides have been cheating on Zwift ;)

I do have my entry for Liverpool Chester Liverpool rolled over from last year though, so hoping to do my first Century in July. Longest previous ride is 71 miles which hurt so looking forward to it with a little trepidation.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    I am still in full winter gear, lots of layers on top so thay can come off when not needed.  I am hoping to get in my first centuary ride, my longest is 78 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Got out this morning in the hills, still needed winter overshoes, bloody cold start. Beautiful at the end though around 9.30
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Had another ride yesterday, 34 miles, got a bit of rain again, bit sore today, 85 miles in 4 days my legs are feeling it today.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    edited April 2021
    I managed to get a quickish flat 20 miler in this lunchtime. Managed above 18 mph average for the first time this year so I'm steadily building up my fitness. Hoping to do a hilly 50+ tomorrow.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    Anyone doing the Bolton (Rivington) 2up Duathlon this Sunday? I’ve got drafted in as my mate’s race partner has dropped out. I’m run fit but only had 4 rides on the bike this year since last June. Eeek!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, it wasn't a 50 miler ( more like 30 ) but it was hilly. First foray this year up Clyffe Pypard hill (which is short at .6km for the steep bit) but definitely not sweet. Nearly got off and walked up it :)
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1231
    I had a nice gentle spin through East Lothian, and back via the coast this evening.
    Managed 38 miles, but only 499metres of climbing.

If it wasn't for the queues, I may have been tempted to stop at one of the chippies, as the one in North Berwick smelt very appealing on the way past!

Also felt that I was under dressed. Every other cyclist I seen had tights and long sleeves on, whereas I'd opted for the full summer shorts legs and sleeves, which I thought was more than enough on a warm evening..
  • CFHCFH Frets: 456
    Is anyone riding Struggle Dales this year?
  • m_c said:
    If it wasn't for the queues, I may have been tempted to stop at one of the chippies, as the one in North Berwick smelt very appealing on the way past!

Something about the smell of proper Fish 'n' Cips on a ride is just... There's one in Conwy just by the harbour that if I get tempted means I'm getting the train home ;) 60 miles back with a belly full of chips ain't happening, haha.
    m_c said:

Also felt that I was under dressed. Every other cyclist I seen had tights and long sleeves on, whereas I'd opted for the full summer shorts legs and sleeves, which I thought was more than enough on a warm evening..
    I was in full Summer get up here today too. Forecast said 10°C but it felt like way warmer so shorts it was, bloody nice to actually be outdoors after my recent self-isolation. Long may it continue :)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    I thought I was going pretty quick this morning  in top gear and pushing really hard on a flat stretch when two 20 somethings glided past me on Orbea super machines like they didn't have a care in the world.

It could be me but does anyone find the better the bike, the less friendly riders are, not a nod or hello, talking to my cyclist mate and he totally agrees, or am I just a bit daft letting on to people? 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    I thought I was going pretty quick this morning  in top gear and pushing really hard on a flat stretch when two 20 somethings glided past me on Orbea super machines like they didn't have a care in the world.

It could be me but does anyone find the better the bike, the less friendly riders are, not a nod or hello, talking to my cyclist mate and he totally agrees, or am I just a bit daft letting on to people? 

I've had that done plenty of times, lots of snobbery in cycling, if you are not on a Pinnarello, De Rosa or some other £4 grand+ bike wearing Assos, Castelli, Rapha etc some riders won't give you the time of day.

I'm going out with a mate later on, he's just getting into road cycling although he has a gravel bike, a lovely Norco with Ultegra groupset, 42, 34  on the front 11 spd,  he has no cycling kit wears his trainers (flat pedals) and has a small backpack on, he flies up the hills and then waits for me, but the looks he gets from "proper" cyclists is funny especially when he passes them on a climb ....... =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Did 55 miles yesterday, which is 140 miles for the week, and needless to say my undercarriage is a bit tender today,
    and as a bonus we didn't get rained on, wiped out today though.
    edited April 2021
    I've just finished a 43 mile, 2300 ft bimble around Marlborough/ Devizes way and my hoop's a bit tender as well Lovely night for it though. Time for a Chinese and a drop of Proper Job.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited April 2021
    Managed to get a few hours to myself today, so did a little trip to the Klöntalersee (one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland). 50k and 1000hm in all. Bloody freezing on the descent and still plenty of snow around.

Really trying to make an effort to get fit on the road bike before the MTB season really starts...
    edited April 2021
    I have a garmin 130, whilst it is very good I do worry about the battery life on longer rides, it has been good for about 7 - 8 hours but the battery indicator is a bit iffy.  I was looking at the lezyne units which have a supposed better life.

Having said that I came across this site https://www.igpsport.com/bike-computers the igs50E has a printed 40h battery life

@Logie theres a vid on youtube of that climb Clyffe Pypard hill my legs twitched watching it

@Jaycee ;

Yes, I've seen it. It's a lot nicer watching some other poor sod go up it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom