The Search for a Travelesque Guitar Continues

GruGru Frets: 339
Well after 5 months it starts again.

I decided that the LX1E just wasn't right for my style of play and it has now been sold.

What was good:
It was very portable, it had a couple of trips to work, and a holiday in Norfolk. It is super sturdy. Once relief was set it never moved. Action was set to around 2.5mm E and 2mm e, intonation was spot on.

What didn't work for me:
After playing my OM it felt very small body wise. 1 11/16 (42.8) nut, 2 1/8 (54) string spacing vs 1 3/4 (44.4) nut, 2 3/16 (55.5) not helping (I think the string spacing was the main one)

Due to the way I play (finger pick and thumb strumming) it just didn't sound right, too dull. a plectrum sounded much better, maybe I just didn't get the top moving enough?

So what's next?
I have a few what I consider portable guitars on my radar, some easier to try than others and there is quite a wide price range.

It needs to be able to come to work on the train and also fit in the car. I think an OM might be too big, hardcase might be too much bulk.

The obvious choices are the Dreadnought Jr.
GS Mini Mahogany/Koa/Spruce

Not so obvious choices:
Sigma 00M-15S
Faith Mercury (Naked/Burst)
Cort L500-O

Let the fun begin (Again)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've heard some good tones coming out of the mini Maton.

If you've got a bit more to spend, Wee Lowden or Atkin Troubador.

Out of your list I'd be going for the Faith - Such good guitars for the money!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8062
    GS mini spruce. I have one and use it as a normal guitar, with the plus being that I can take it places. It's also great for songwriting and quieter practice as its not overwhelmingly loud.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Winny_Pooh;809951" said:
    GS mini spruce. I have one and use it as a normal guitar, with the plus being that I can take it places. It's also great for songwriting and quieter practice as its not overwhelmingly loud.
    The one thing I have noticed recently is a lot of singer/songwriters, even though they may be playing a high end guitar onstage, have a more portable acoustic for songwriting ideas. The GS Mini is quite often the guitar of choice.

The GS Mini Mahogany really impressed me when I purchased my OM. Very easy to play and sounded fantastic.

However, the dreadnought junior is hard to ignore, mainly because the nut and string spacing is exactly the same as my OM and thus I think it would be more natural switching between them.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    edited October 2015
    Bluesman1989;809897" said:
    I've heard some good tones coming out of the mini Maton.If you've got a bit more to spend, Wee Lowden or Atkin Troubador.Out of your list I'd be going for the Faith - Such good guitars for the money!
    The faiths are quite amazing. I have always fancied a Faith Parlour and have lost count how many videos I have watched on YouTube. The naked is very affordable, but again I would consider the burst due to the 45mm nut, but at just north of £700 and sporting a hard case, I'm not sure how often I would want to take that on a packed underground train.

I guess it depends how big the case is.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    I tried a Faith the other day, I think it was a Mercury (naked) and was mightily impressed. A lovely, lively, rich and very resonant sound. If I was looking for a new acoustic that'd be the one I'd go for. Not the most beautiful looking guitar but it sounded very good indeed.