What Mooer pedals are copying

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    That's a good shot as you can see that there isn't that much difference in the gap between the foot switch and the knobs between the MXR and the Mooer. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited November 2013
    I've used quite a few Mooers live and I find them no worse than an MXR for accidentally kicking stuff and considerably better than stupid pedals like Zvex which I find completely unusable. 
    That is odd. I've never found my Fuzz Factory awkward to use live. I have several other ZVex pedals too which I find just as easy, although I've never used them live.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• It is how close the switch is to the knobs.  Plus they go width ways which again I think psychologically annoys me, my foot is longer than it is wide, so so should be the pedal by my logic.  

Tried finding a picture with both MXR and Zvex pedals on.

To be honest I see a lot of people's boards and wonder how they manage to use them without hitting three things at once.  Maybe I'm just unusually clumsy!

I've never had a problem with hitting the knobs on mine - at least partly because the switch sticks up further than the knobs. But unlike the Mooers, even if you do the pots have chassis nuts so you aren't going to push them down through the casing…

I agree that the Boss design is the best though - in so many ways. Hard to convince most people of that these days though, with all the 'it has to be true bypass' crap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I've used quite a few Mooers live and I find them no worse than an MXR for accidentally kicking stuff and considerably better than stupid pedals like Zvex which I find completely unusable. 
    That is odd. I've never found my Fuzz Factory awkward to use live. I have several other ZVex pedals too which I find just as easy, although I've never used them live.

I absolutely hate them. 
    Brilliant pedals, but impossible to use. 
    They take up too much space because they are sideways the power socket is in the wrong place and it's far too easy to kick the knobs and with something like a fuzz factory that can result in insanely loud screaming feedback. 
    Happened to me several times in rehearsal at the only gig I used it at so it was promptly flipped.
    You must have odd feet :). That's never happened to me, even once!

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    But do you not have daintier than standard feet?
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I have size 13 feet!
  • Size 11s here.  And all the grace and subtlety (and some of the weight) of a drunk rhino.
    Ah. That might explain it… I only have size 7s.

:D

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Ignoring the technical details that I was not aware of until this post, my first thought upon recently receiving a Black Secret was 'well this won't work for live'.

The pedal is too small.  It is way too easy to kick the large dial and the switch at the same time.

I gave up on the idea of using them for live too. Too unstable under your foot, no matter how well anchored, and too easy to move knobs with your feet. FWIW I'm only a size 8.

For me, having dainty little pedals on a miniature board that need a ballet dancers touch to operate doesn't work under the pressure of playing live where, frankly, my mind's on other things. I also agree with ICBM about the Boss pedal thing.

I have to say that having used several Mooers on my crowded board for some time now, I have come to the conclusion that they require just as much space as a Boss pedal. Ones I need to get to frequently, are now at the front of the board (fuzz face and phaser) whilst others are located according to how much ease of access I need. 
    They are dinky little things (especially compared to a deluxe Electric Mistress or Fuzz Face), but not nearly as convenient as they may first seem, that's for sure.
    I am a size 10.
  • dogload said:
    I have to say that having used several Mooers on my crowded board for some time now, I have come to the conclusion that they require just as much space as a Boss pedal. 

We're now at the stage where the limiting factor in pedalboard design and organisation isn't the manufacturer's ability to make pedals tiny, it is the size of our own feet.  :))

Reminds me of a phone my mum got years ago.  It was right before colour screens and smart phones started coming out, and manufacturers seemed to be designing along the lines of 'the smaller the better'.  IIRC this one was the smallest and after that smart phones started coming out and people needed more screen space to see what they were doing more clearly.

Think it was one of these.

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited November 2013
    OK I know I've posted this before but I have genuinely abandoned my two Klons, Roger Mayer etc etc board and now gig only THIS:

It is MUCH smaller than those pedals would be in their original forms! The front row are the ones I switch on and off within a song, the back row very rarely so. One advantage is that I can switch two adjacent pedals at the same time (usually the Blues Crab off, the Cruncher On).

I have a new board in the planning stage that will have a mini fuzz face, polytune noir, TC Spark Mini, Lovepedal Pickle Vibe and some kind of drive pedal (maybe a Klone in one of these enclosures - I know it's been done)... that'll be fun... I've got another case but I have to afford the pedals!

Now if someone could fit a Flint into one of these....

(PS - the pedals are all held down with bike chain links - very stable indeed)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    You need an SP comp in there :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never really found a use for a compressor...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    edited November 2013
    martinw said:

Ignoring the technical details that I was not aware of until this post, my first thought upon recently receiving a Black Secret was 'well this won't work for live'.

The pedal is too small.  It is way too easy to kick the large dial and the switch at the same time.

I gave up on the idea of using them for live too. Too unstable under your foot, no matter how well anchored, and too easy to move knobs with your feet. FWIW I'm only a size 8.

For me, having dainty little pedals on a miniature board that need a ballet dancers touch to operate doesn't work under the pressure of playing live where, frankly, my mind's on other things. I also agree with ICBM about the Boss pedal thing.

Interestingly, I have the exact opposite feeling on the matter - I don't have any trouble with the Mooer pedals (I've got the phaser and Green Mile); I've never had problems with them being unstable or the knobs being vulnerable to accidental adjustment. I do, however, absolutely hate Boss-style enclosures; I like having a tangible click feeling when a pedal's engaged/disengaged. Then again, I'm pretty gentle with pedals compared to a lot of people. I can imagine that if you like to properly stomp on the things, the Boss enclosures would be preferable.
    <space for hire>
  • Yep, I'm a stomper.  Boss are the best design for keeping the knobs out of the way when you switch them IMO.  I've never had an issue wondering if a Boss pedal is going to engage or not, they just seem to work well for me.  Plus I feel like I could jump on it and it wouldn't break.  The Mooers don't inspire me with the same confidence.  I do like the pedal's tone though, so I'm happy with the Black Secret I have.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2325
    edited November 2013
    OK I know I've posted this before but I have genuinely abandoned my two Klons, Roger Mayer etc etc board and now gig only THIS:

It is MUCH smaller than those pedals would be in their original forms! The front row are the ones I switch on and off within a song, the back row very rarely so. One advantage is that I can switch two adjacent pedals at the same time (usually the Blues Crab off, the Cruncher On).

I have a new board in the planning stage that will have a mini fuzz face, polytune noir, TC Spark Mini, Lovepedal Pickle Vibe and some kind of drive pedal (maybe a Klone in one of these enclosures - I know it's been done)... that'll be fun... I've got another case but I have to afford the pedals!

Now if someone could fit a Flint into one of these....

(PS - the pedals are all held down with bike chain links - very stable indeed)

Nice :D

I know I said I wasn't sold on the reliability, but if I gigged I could see the advantage to having a mini-board like that as a spare, just in case. I might not trust them as my main pedalboard, but I reckon having a compact spare would be better than no spare.

I think you'd need to have the board set up the way yours is so they can't move around, though.