Build thread: Pancake body les paul deluxe

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    it may be black again soon, or blue, I can't make up my mind.

I think I have got away with the fretboard issue, and it looks better with the head plate than it did without.  the extra length may be more noticeable with a truss rod cover on  - but it certainly wan't a fatal error
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015
    just ordered paint - took a bit of a left turn and went for....... Oxblood.   Must be something @impmann said

so it will be an oxblood top only - back will be left natural, maybe lightly tinted.  I think that is going to look pretty nice
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The post sanding picture looks so good, I really want a plain Mahogany LP with cream parts now.

Oxblood is going to look really nice with the natural back and cream.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    That sounds epic, Wez!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• it looks great here

are you going for a metallic fleck oxblood?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nah, just liked the black with a hint of red look that the stain gave
    some better pics of the neck in daylight - shows the wood a bit better

needs a bit more finesse on the transitions, but most of the way there

Just gave it all a sand to 180g and got the neck glued in.

I also found one of the logo discs I had made about 7 years ago. Its pearloid with my logo laser cut into it. That's now at the top of the headstock with some black epoxy filling the letters. I did consider having a Gibson style logo, but sod that, this will proudly display its not a Gibson :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    I spend way too much time on here watching other people's builds, and far too little time in my workshop building my own.

Though, to be fair, it would take me a long long time to build something as worthy of watching!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    branded

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very smart...
  • The logo looks cracking on the headstock.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Looking superb, the logo sets off the headstock splendidly!
    I'll say it again, it's a shame you're going to colour the body as that mahogany looks incredible as is! Though I'm sure it'll look even more equally awesome painted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Now I have decided on colour and its not going to be a metallic I probably won't grainfill the top, so its interesting grain patterns may well reappear
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    I'm intrigued to see what it'll look like in oxblood. I was 100% sold on Pelham blue, can't really picture it in oxblood.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Stunning stuff again matey.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

strtdv;914529" said:
    I'm intrigued to see what it'll look like in oxblood. I was 100% sold on Pelham blue, can't really picture it in oxblood.
    So am I, I have been all about the PB deluxes since they released them last year.

The decision is based on a known ability to get good results with solid(er) colours, a desire not to look like a recent Gibson model whilst keeping an eye on potential resale market. I feel a black or oxblood top will sell easier than a PB, not the primary concern, but a concern nonetheless.

Oxblood can normally pass for black, but not quite. Its in the right palette for a blacktop which I love.

Only issue with oxblood is the strong Beck links, so I could go wraparound, but I still want mini hums so forget about Jeff, its a non JB oxblood top 70's les Paul deluxe style, with long, but not wide, headstock and 50's ish style carve. Does that make sense to anyone but me???

The other option is making an exact clone and some dick pointing out one measurement is a mm out. I started with a riff on a known theme and that is enough for me.

got the bridge mounted so time for a test fit

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking good, @WezV
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    Beautiful, mate
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.