A good chair for playing guitar...

What's Hot
Anyone found one? I normally just use a straight backed dining chair for the right combination of not having an arm rest in the way and tall enough for good posture. However, I'd like something a little more comfortable. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Drum stool.
    Trust me.

I have a DW 9000 air lift and a Roc N Soc (one on my drum kit, one in the living room for playing guitar and doing drum rudiments)
    I don't like the tractor seat style and I don't like having a back on it- although you can get those.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2015
    Anything without arms is fine by me
  • octatonic said:
    Drum stool.
    Trust me.

I have a DW 9000 air lift and a Roc N Soc (one on my drum kit, one in the living room for playing guitar and doing drum rudiments)
    I don't like the tractor seat style and I don't like having a back on it- although you can get those.
    Oddly enough I always grab a drum stool from the house kit stash at our practice space whenever we have a particularly long practice. However, I'd prefer something a little higher and one I can sit back in. But also it would be nice to have a chair that I actually want to sit in when not playing guitar as well!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16313
    you're better off with a pick Bro
    tae be or not tae be
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I get on well with those office chairs with adjustable height, which swivel on a central pole and have 5 splayed out legs with castors on.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • lengthen your strap and stand up
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • hootsmon;864192" said:
    you're better off with a pick Bro
    Agreed.

None of my furnishings play particularly well - though I once owned a Bex Bissell that was unbelievable at slide. A proper Ry Cooder it was.

So good in fact that I donated it to a charity shop.

I was buggered if I was going to allow an ageing cleaning device to out play me in my own home....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I get on well with those office chairs with adjustable height, which swivel on a central pole and have 5 splayed out legs with castors on.
    Aye. One of the office types with no armrests works for me for guitaring at the PC when recording, general practice, and for theFB-ing in between those two.

I remember Sporky got a very swanky orthopaedic one where the arms lifted out of the way for guitaring and back again for general purpose stuff. I also remember he spent about £800 on it!!!!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Gumtree generally has loads of office chairs available. Even if it has arms, if it's an office chair it will be easy to remove them.

I don't have one, i just use the sofa or a dining chair but i would like one and i would think that most weeks, £50 or less would get you a smart leather chair that's height adjustable.
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149

My wife bought me a very nice Fender stool from Thomann last Christmas but for a short arse like me its too tall To reach down to adjust amp settings, especially if not wearing my specs, has led to several toppling incidents.

I think a drum stool as previously mentioned would be just perfect.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited November 2015
    octatonic said:
    Drum stool.
    Trust me.

ditto - I use them to teach on too...

http://i61.tinypic.com/28jb8r8.jpg
    Thomann will sort you out...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I got a pretty good office type chair from Staples for about £99

it's not leather so you don't sweat into it, the height adjustment is good, and the arms can swivel up out of the way for when I'm playing, and swivel down when I'm programming etc..

play every note as if it were your first
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I sit on my cab. Limited space.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I have a wooden bar stool ... perfect.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I have one (all black) which is about a squillion years old and it doesn't have arms at all - so comfy for loafing with a guitar... the one I posted I'm reliably informed has arm rests that can be folded away... so same sort of thing.

Any chair with full tilt rather than back-recline makes me happy and comfy while I sit and plink-plonk away... 

Being a foolish fool I left my chair at home when I came to uni, and in its place I have a horridly uncomforable metal chair the accommodation came with ... curse you metal chair CURSE YOU!!!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4498
    Another drum stool user

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Common sense. If it's an electric guitar you have to have an electric chair.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:

I got a pretty good office type chair from Staples for about £99

it's not leather so you don't sweat into it, the height adjustment is good, and the arms can swivel up out of the way for when I'm playing, and swivel down when I'm programming etc..

it's this one

and I took the wheels off so it don't slide around [which I found to be better when playing]
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom