Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    maidenfan said:
    Good stuff, really glad you got a chance to try some screens / spoilers!

Post some pics pls (ideally when its having a 'rest' in the mud ;)
    @Octatonic - yes, pics please! 

I'm excited for you. Let's hope the enjoyment lasts ;) Also, assuming it has the same adjustable suspension and throttle modes as the standard GS, it's worth playing with them as they do make a difference. It's quite nice riding round in Rain mode when you're feeling pretty chilled. Conversely when you want to pretend you're on a sports bike, stick her in Dynamic and be impressed at how fast she goes round corners. 

Out of interest, what were the screen/spoiler combos you tried? Thinking about getting the universal MRA spoiler for mine that I wouldn't need if I was a couple of inches shorter...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    jaytmon said:
    maidenfan said:
    Good stuff, really glad you got a chance to try some screens / spoilers!

Post some pics pls (ideally when its having a 'rest' in the mud ;)
    @Octatonic - yes, pics please! 

I'm excited for you. Let's hope the enjoyment lasts ;) Also, assuming it has the same adjustable suspension and throttle modes as the standard GS, it's worth playing with them as they do make a difference. It's quite nice riding round in Rain mode when you're feeling pretty chilled. Conversely when you want to pretend you're on a sports bike, stick her in Dynamic and be impressed at how fast she goes round corners. 

Out of interest, what were the screen/spoiler combos you tried? Thinking about getting the universal MRA spoiler for mine that I wouldn't need if I was a couple of inches shorter...

Yes I've had an S1000R and an RT for a bit now so pretty ok with changing engine modes.
    I'm a bit cynical about them- it is mostly just a change in throttle response, which you can control more with your right hand.
    I mostly leave it in Dynamic thought except when it rains, even then most of the time I don't knock it down much.

I tried the MRA universal spoiler today- it sorted wind blast with the stock screen for me.
    I've worked out that wind blast is such a personal thing- even changing the seat height by half an inch can make a tangible difference so that puts us in the territory of component variability.
    Teaching you to suck eggs there, sorry mate! Sound like you might ride a bit quicker than me ;) 
    I notice a difference between pootling (relatively) along and pushing it more on some nice A roads/chasing the Blackbird (I was quite satisfyingly cornering quicker!) I think lower power mode is more noticeable when rolling on at higher speeds. Normal and dynamic it's just throttle response as you said. 
    Having said that, the suspension setting has as large effect too. Hard provides that slightly sportier edge I find, plus I have the preload on rider + luggage. I do tend to fiddle with it a lot less now mind. 

Useful to know about the MRA spoiler too, thanks. Late Christmas present to myself maybe... :)
    No worries. :)

The 2017 model is self levelling, do I won't need to change suspension options when adding pillion or luggage. It just knows.
    You still have soft/med/hard suspension.
    gearbox greatly improved too. No more clunking getting into 1st from neutral which the RT does as well.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    I'm like Octa' with the throttle modes (and I'm a old git). I've only very rarely been out of sport mode on either my Multistrada or the SDGT no matter whether I'm in town or in the countryside. Staying that way helps you develop throttle control with your right hand. And you just never know when a big handful of gas might help save your life! 
    edited December 2016
    MtB said:
    I'm like Octa' with the throttle modes (and I'm a old git). I've only very rarely been out of sport mode on either my Multistrada or the SDGT no matter whether I'm in town or in the countryside. Staying that way helps you develop throttle control with your right hand. And you just never know when a big handful of gas might help save your life! 
    Yup, and also because if you get used to Rain mode then when you switch back to Dynamic you can inadvertently wheelie off the line as you are used to a slacker roll on.
    The RT has quite fiddly power roll on in Dynamic- I had a couple of interesting moments when I first got it but once you know it you are fine.
    The 2017 GSA seems to be better, but it has a bit less weight to carry about and has some gear box tweaks.
    Pretty sure the ASC puts a stop to any inadvertent wheelie attempts! ;)

The other advantage or peace of mind from Rain mode is the extra levels of ABS & traction control, especially for someone like me who twitches if the bike threatens to go sideways at all. Planning on an off-road course maybe next year to improve my non-existent skills. Seeing the demo rider on a GS at the bike show actually jumping the thing over a log by preloading the forks blew my mind. 

I rode a 990 Superduke for a couple of years, so I got pretty good at having a 'sensitive' right hand too, though to be fair, the fuelling was better that the '06 Speed Triple I had before that.
    Tall first gears also require good clutch control at low speed. The Tracer had a noticeable and irritating on/off throttle response. Yes you can ride round it, but I don't feel I should have to. 
    I'm basically indulging myself with the GS now!
    edited December 2016
    jaytmon said:
    Pretty sure the ASC puts a stop to any inadvertent wheelie attempts!

The other advantage or peace of mind from Rain mode is the extra levels of ABS & traction control, especially for someone like me who twitches if the bike threatens to go sideways at all. Planning on an off-road course maybe next year to improve my non-existent skills. Seeing the demo rider on a GS at the bike show actually jumping the thing over a log by preloading the forks blew my mind. 

I rode a 990 Superduke for a couple of years, so I got pretty good at having a 'sensitive' right hand too, though to be fair, the fuelling was better that the '06 Speed Triple I had before that.
    Tall first gears also require good clutch control at low speed. The Tracer had a noticeable and irritating on/off throttle response. Yes you can ride round it, but I don't feel I should have to. 
    I'm basically indulging myself with the GS now!
    Yes, anti-wheelie cuts in at different points, depending on which engine mode you are in.
    I find Dynamic to be the best compromise.
    Dynamic pro turns it off completely, my S1000R will wheelie in 4th at 80mph, which is pretty terrifying.
    Dynamic keeps the front wheel down unless you really give it some.
    Road keeps it down most of the time, I've never had it off the ground in this mode.
    Rain, I believe is impossible to lift the front wheel (or do a stoppie).

Have you ridden either the S1000R or RR?
    I love my R- it is such a tremendous bike, I can't see mine going anywhere- the fueling is as close to perfect as I've ridden.
    Also, now I've de-catted and have a full system the ground clearance issues are gone too.

I was out for a blast on it today (don't want to put any miles on the RT as I'm trading it in).

edited December 2016
    4th gear wheelies does sound terrifying in that manic laugh provoking sort of way. Not far from me there's a hill coming out of a 30 limit, with a ridge that if you hit at the right speed, will naturally lift the front wheel. First time I did this (accidentally!) I shat myself, but subsequently I'd pretty much always challenge myself to do it again.

I haven't tried either the S1000R or the RR sadly. Looks good in red too, plus very clean! I bet she sounds sweet with the Akra / decat combo too. When the R came out, I thought it would be my ideal bike, i.e. Naked and stupidly powerful, yet with inline 4 smoothness, but I couldn't afford it. Since then the majority of riding I do has changed from mostly short commutes and blasts to longer (20-50 mile) commutes involving dual carriageway for some of it, plus the the occasional longer tour. After doing West Wales to Oxford and back on a CB1000R, inducing all sorts of hip and shoulder pains, I decided it was time to be a softie and get something better suited to longer distances. If I could afford two bikes I'd be sorely tempted to try the R, though I'd also be tempted by the new Speed Trip, even if it's lower powered in comparison. One day...!

@jaytmon - I can recommend the BMW off-road school 2 day course. I don't know whether it's still run by Simon Pavey, but that's the one I did (about 6 or 7 years ago) in the Brecons.

I am very excited about this:

I'll be very interested to see what this turns out to be. For me Triumph is an "almost, but not quite" brand. They just need to take the leap of faith with their top model.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
       Triumph need to realise that a healthy aftermarket is good for sales too. 

Their stranglehold on parts and especially service information is counterproductive, I wouldn't own one if you paid me after the grief I've had with them. 
    I wonder if that's a preview of the new 800cc Street Triple there are lots of rumours about. I'd like it to be a 160+bhp Speed Triple, but it won't be.

@MtB I know what you mean about 'almost', but there's no denying the triple engines are delicious. I had a lot of fun on my Speed Triple, though it wasn't without its niggles. And parts aren't cheap either. (Says the BMW owner!)

That is the off-road course I was looking to do next year. I've heard and read very good things about it. 

I've had the original 900 Trident, a 955i and an XCx, but none of them really DID IT for me like the Multistrada or the KTM SDGT. They need to come out with a model that's all guns blazing, to blow the competition away, because I think they have an indigenous audience waiting to be wowed!
    I still miss my Street Triple- I'll have another one as a runabout.
    Amazing bike.
    Just heard from the dealer- bike has arrived with them.
    Collection on Thursday 29th.
    Well, despite organising the swap on the coldest, most icy day of the year I managed to get it home safe and sound.

Love this bike.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Very nice James. Enjoy!
    Lovely.

I'm envious. I should have bought the Adv. 8 years ago, instead of the standard GS (having already had an 05 GS)