Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• That's lovely, glad you persevered with trying aftermarket screens, you're also right about the ice today.........thank f**k for ABS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    octatonic said:
    Well, despite organising the swap on the coldest, most icy day of the year I managed to get it home safe and sound.

Love this bike.
    I know it's designed to do a specific job and probably does it very well, but sorry..... man, that is fugly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited December 2016
    Quite a few of those on the road up here. Often stuck in traffic as the riders are reluctant to filter with them ;)

I always wonder why why people buy these and then commute with the boxes on. Do they carry so much stuff to work the top box isnt big enough? They're as wide as a car with boxes on.

Great bikes anyway, though I find the boxer twin an acquired taste. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    boogieman said:
    octatonic said:
    Well, despite organising the swap on the coldest, most icy day of the year I managed to get it home safe and sound.

Love this bike.
    I know it's designed to do a specific job and probably does it very well, but sorry..... man, that is fugly. 
    I think it looks awesome.

Quite a few of those on the road up here. Often stuck in traffic as the riders are reluctant to filter with them ;)

I always wonder why why people buy these and then commute with the boxes on. Do they carry so much stuff to work the top box isnt big enough? They're as wide as a car with boxes on.

Great bikes anyway, though I find the boxer twin an acquired taste. 
    I reckon that is more down to the rider- I have no trouble filtering with boxes- the boxes are about the same width as the front of the bike.

Day to day though I ride with a top box, when touring I take that off and just take the panniers.
  • I personally far prefer the looks of a GS or GSA than any one of a multitude of sportsbikes (GSXR, ZZR, ZX9R, R1) etc. I even prefer it to the iconic Ducati 998 or Panigale.
    Was out on it today running it in.
    Have 400 more miles to do before first service.

So far loving it, although I am getting some minor turbulence issues- my screen spoiler is on its way which will fix it.
    Otherwise no complaints at all- handles differently to the RT,  a bit more planted in the front end but all the weight is up top.
    I'm used to it now.
    So comfortable- definitely the most comfortable bike I've owned.
    Did some green lanes today- didn't go too far due to new tyres (and the wrong tyres) but it was nice to know it could do it.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Now that is a proper bike!! One of my favourite things is the halo/angel eye daytime running light. It's the little things. 

Good decision well made and I agree, it's nice to know it can green lane if needs be. Happy days.

Here's a pic of the 2017 Rallye model just because it looks awesome. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers Jaytmon.

That Rallye looks awesome.
    I did think about it for a min, but I don't do enough offroad to warrant the discomfort you'd get on road from the stiffer suspension.
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    New to the forum and noticed this thread.

I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan VN2000 which is a 2000cc monster. Great for long runs but terrible round town.
    Got a Harley Sportster 883 XL which I’m currently working on. Almost complete but the steering head bearings need doing and some other bits and pieces. Bought it dirt cheap as it was barely rideable but have done loads to it since I got it to make it roadworthy.
    Also got a Kawasaki ER-6F for commuting when the weather isn’t Arctic-like. Hate commuting to London but in cold weather its just miserable. All 120miles of it :anguished: 

Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

Welcome Motorhate, some nice bikes you have.
    edited January 2017
    Thanks mate. Got some photos here:

This is the Harley that I've managed to get up and running ...

... and the ER6

Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    octatonic said:
    I am very excited about this:

It will be interesting to see that! I will definitely won't be getting a replacement bike for my Daytona for 2017, but will need to start thinking about a replacement next year (car or bike). Not sure if I can really continue to justify new bikes with the amount of time I (don't) ride these days, but maybe a 12 month old model will be OK.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Motorhate said:
    Hate commuting to London but in cold weather its just miserable. All 120miles of it :anguished: 

Jesus, that is way too much to do regularly. You must be knackered!
    Its a 120mile round trip, so 60 there and 60 back. Some motorway, some A roads and some London urban roads. Pain in the arse if I'm honest as I usually start my ride about 05:30am. As you can imagine in winter that's about as much fun as a toothache. In the summer its not too bad until you get to London when you generally tend to cook in your leathers. I've decided to break it up between train and bike, so maybe twice a week on bike and three times on the train. It puts a lot of wear and mileage on the bike too.

I have some new riding jeans that I'd like to tell people about- because they are the best thing I've bought in bike clothing in ages.

The problem we all have is bike gear often looks like bike gear- so if you are going out to dinner, or meeting up with people you want something that looks kinda normal.
    I've tried kevlar jeans, where the denim has a kevlar liner, but they are usually really heavy and hot.
    So I either end up going in bike gear or wearing fashion denim- most of the time  it is the latter but that obviously puts me at risk if I have an off.

The new jeans are made by Rokker (pronounced Roeker, apparently)- they look like normal jeans, are as light as regular jeans.
    They are also windproof and waterproof.
    They come with D30 around in the knees and hips.

Apparently they weave aramid into the denim so it is one layer and the waterproof layer is bonded to the inside of the denim.
    Sizing is the same as regular jeans as well- I'm the same size in those as I am in Levi's.
    The waterproof layer is breathable too- its pores open up in the hot weather for airflow and close when it is cold.

The downside- they are £350, which is a lot but I'm going to get a lot of use out of them so fuck it.
    I very rarely evangelise like this but honestly they are fantastic.
    I was out in them earlier- it was cold but I was warm enough on the bike, I'm told they work well in temperatures from 5 to 35.

Not heard of that make before. I’ve always used Draggin Jeans (or combats) when it comes to Kevlar but recently discovered a British company called Hood who do some fantastic  jeans and combats. The quality is second to none and the price is a bit cheap than the ones you mention. The drawback is they’re not waterproof but I’ve ridden in the wet with them on and they do stay reasonably waterproof around town. Motorways would be a different story I’d imagine.

They’re here if anyone is interested:

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    @octatonic I'll be interested to hear how they perform if/when it gets any warmer. Not cheap but you pay for what you get. 

My concern always with bike denim is that it moves around too much and protection doesn't always end up where it needs to be. How are these in that respect? Would you wear them all day off the bike? (From a practical point of view)

@Motorhate that Vulcan is a beast! 
    Jaytmon- these are slim fit jeans so the armour is in the right place and doesn't seem to move around so far.
    Yes, I've been wearing them off bike, actually wearing them now.
    OOOOOOOO!!!!!