Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2552
    Glad to hear that @octatonic. I saw your post on LB about it. For the money you spent on the bike I would expect nothing less than a perfect package. I'd be as incensed as you were about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited February 2017
    Cheers mate.
    I'm pleased it has been resolved.
    I don't think it should have come to this in order to get a resolution but it proves that the only power customers have in the customer<dealer>manufacturer triangle is to get noisy and take to the interwebs.
    I feel for Bahnstormer- they weren't immediately on the case for me but eventually they got onboard and were clearly caught in between a recalcitrant manufacturer and an angry customer.

I've had 3 new BMW bikes in the last 2 years and a string of cars- the last 5 cars we've had have been BMW's.
    They were quibbling over a pannier than I can buy for £311 online.
    BMW must pay £200 for them.
    Talk about winning the battle but losing the war.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    It does sound like an unnecessary ballache. I'm glad to hear it was resolved in the end though, as it was my understanding that BMW prided themselves on customer service - my experience of Riders Cardiff was really good and it sounds like you made peace with Bahnstormers in the end. Good on you for sticking with it.

Shocking really that a company like BMW would sell panniers like that in the first place. I googled it and you're not the first to have that problem by any stretch. 

Incidentally I went for the Vario panniers, both because of the expanding feature and the fact they have the mounts on the bike already, and I've had no problems with them at all. IIRC they are made by a company that make their own too...I wonder if the same company is responsible for the Alu ones. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Good to hear it was sorted out.  ;)
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133

Thread revival!!!

I've finally gotten around to doing my DAS course, passed my Mod 1 on Monday and have my Mod 2 next Friday! 

I've treated myself to a new bike (Yamaha XSR700) and am now looking at insurance; asking on the off-chance that anyone here has any recommendations on providers etc? The bike's getting fitted with a Datatool 4 Red, and will be tagged and tracked too, I've not picked out a chain or disc-locks yet either so tips are welcome

http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/541966/540x360/4YamahaXSR700.jpg

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3041
    edited March 2017
    Bennetts were good for me.
    edited March 2017
    Welcome to the club- that is a fine bike.
    I use Carole Nash- any of the major insurers are much of a muchness- I would avoid MCE myself as I've had friends have problems with them.

A word of advice, I don't put any chains or disc locks on my insurance, because you then might need to prove that use used them in case of the bike being stolen.

In most cases it doesn't make your insurance much cheaper anyway, especially if you have an alarm, tracker and data tagging.
    I just leave the chains off the insurance and continue to use them (most of the time).

At home I use Almax chains and a ground anchor, plus some other stuff I don't talk about publicly.
    On the move I use a disc lock- make sure you don't ride off without taking it off, I use a yellow coil cable hooked over the throttle to the disc lock to remind me.
    I've been with Adelaide for the last few years, they've changed their name to Cornmarket recently. They were recommended by quite a few people on a bike forum I use. Decent price on the policy and their customer service is very good so I've heard... I've not had to test it so far, thank god.  
    Hastings Direct. Always helpful but keep an eye on renewal quotes as they aren't always indicative of their best prices. I think originally I went with them over Bennetts as I could get insurance on other bikes at the time, which Bennetts wouldn't offer. TPO though. 
    jaytmon said:
    Hastings Direct. Always helpful but keep an eye on renewal quotes as they aren't always indicative of their best prices. I think originally I went with them over Bennetts as I could get insurance on other bikes at the time, which Bennetts wouldn't offer. TPO though. 
    Just goes to show how important it is to shop around then. I got a quote from Hastings last year and it was around £300, complete with a £1600 excess! As opposed to Adelaide who came in at £130 with a £250 excess, both fully comp. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    jaytmon said:
    Just goes to show how important it is to shop around then. I got a quote from Hastings last year and it was around £300, complete with a £1600 excess! As opposed to Adelaide who came in at £130 with a £250 excess, both fully comp. 
    Crikey
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1379
    Never ever ever use Bennetts. Tossers. Useless Tossers in fact. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024

Cheers guys - good shout on the leaving chains/locks off of the insurance quote! I went to the dealer and sorted out the paperwork on Saturday, the bike looks lush - it's being delivered tomorrow so I'll post some photos once it's here.

Four more days till my Mod 2 test... hopefully it won't be as windy as the training was yesterday! It feels great to be out on the road again though, I used to race a little CBR125 around Cornwall for ~5 years, but bigger bikes are so much more comfortable - especially for tall b*stards like me & @DrBob! :D

I ended up going with Lexham after getting a significantly better quote from them than anywhere else. The bike arrived on Tuesday and looks superb!

Just on my way to my Mod 2 test, lucky poos please!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @guitargeek62 good luck fella, not that you'll need it ;)
    Cheers! Just waiting for my slot :D
    Good luck fella  ;)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Hopefully you`ve smashed it and ready for a Summer of riding :)
    Cheers! Just waiting for my slot :D
    A couple of us are members at  LondonBikers forum.
    They organise rideouts- come out on some.
    I passed! Thanks for the votes of confidence, must've worked!

Perfect, thanks @octatonic - I'll sign up there :D
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom