SG with a Bigsby?

What's Hot

Comments

• Duesenberg Les Trem looks a lot better on that SG (even if I still think no wangbar is best). How is it for tuning stability?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    grungebob said:
    Sadly had to sell but this was one of the best guitars I've owned.

[Black SG Custom]
    The guitarist in my band had a similar one, although without the Maestro and with a small pickguard. Absolutely great-sounding thing, especially the 'middle' position. Sadly he couldn't get on with the balance of it - it hurt his shoulder. He now has a 3-pickup Les Paul Custom which weighs 50% more but which is much more comfortable. It sounds good too, but I preferred the SG.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Duesenberg Les Trem looks a lot better on that SG (even if I still think no wangbar is best). How is it for tuning stability?
    A lot better than a Bigsby or Strat trem IMO.

There is a lot more string pivot available though, so only slight 'wobble' of the trem arm is needed for typical bigsby vibrato.

The quality of the product, and engineering, is just what you would expect from a German manufacturer ;)
  • raulduke said:
    Duesenberg Les Trem looks a lot better on that SG (even if I still think no wangbar is best). How is it for tuning stability?

There is a lot more string pivot available though, so only slight 'wobble' of the trem arm is needed for typical bigsby vibrato.

The quality of the product, and engineering, is just what you would expect from a German manufacturer ;)
    does that include its exhaust emissions :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • raulduke said:
    Duesenberg Les Trem looks a lot better on that SG (even if I still think no wangbar is best). How is it for tuning stability?

does that include its exhaust emissions :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • seriously though, @raulduke, I'm not totally against wangbars - I have a Strat (although I don't use it a lot, for reasons other than its wangbar) - and if I were considering adding a wangbar to a guitar that I thought would benefit from one, I'd look at one of those.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    edited December 2015
    I really think the Les Trem looks wrong on an SG, sorry. I know it's all about 'what we're used to', but while I think it's a good-looking unit it needs to be on something like a Yamaha or a Mosrite. It's partly because it sits slightly too close to the bridge, possibly.

Nothing looks better on an SG than a Bigsby B5, and that includes the Maestro, which belongs on a Firebird, or a long Bigsby, which belongs on a semi-acoustic or a Les Paul.

Obviously just my opinion...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2015
    This is what you want!

Although watching a recent ZZ Top rig rundown Billy's tech was saying it's mostly dismantled as it just didn't really work. Looks awesome though!
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    I wondered where my Transformer went a few years ago...

• ICBM said:

Nothing looks better on an SG than a Bigsby B5

yep, I'd far rather see nothing on an SG, than a B5 ;)
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    Had a '61 Reissue to which i added a B5 with a Vibramate. Didn't work. the body and neck were two thin for the pressure you needed to apply. I reckon it would work on a meatier bodied SG with a heftier neck.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    tFB Trader

One thing with a B5 is the steep angle from the tension roller up to the bridge. Can be alleviated by taking off the outer roller, leaving the much thinner inner spindle. Or there's a fella selling a 'Bigsby stabliser' which is a neat replacement roller that sits higher up.
    The feel of them becomes nicer too, less stiff.
    Might need a roller bridge as well, I've had to use them on 2 or 3 guitars.

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/mods/firebird_body.jpg

And the top nut needs working a bit, especially if the strings splay out sideways, extra drag there. And binning if it's a plastic one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I have this 73/74 SG with a factory Bigsby.

I didn't want a Bigsby and never use it.

it is a great sounding guitar.The mini's are fantastic.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/Mobile%20Uploads/b32793fb-4b23-4924-b72c-16adb8c006f2_zps6wlhiafj.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Bigsby fans. Where do you buy them from? States seems to be the sensible place and would still be cheaper after tax?
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    Seriously, check out the Duesenberg/ Rockinger ones.  I've got one on a Duesenberg & it's miles better than the pucka Bigsby on my friend's.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    edited December 2015
    ajax;885446" said:
    Seriously, check out the Duesenberg/ Rockinger ones.  I've got one on a Duesenberg & it's miles better than the pucka Bigsby on my friend's. http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG073&product=3625C-3625A-3625G&sid3=d6f5814aea61839a48fde74fd3ac3fbd
    Good shout. And they do an adapter plate (like a vibramate) so €160 all in. I've heard good things about the Duesenberg trems.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    ajax;885446" said:
    Seriously, check out the Duesenberg/ Rockinger ones.  I've got one on a Duesenberg & it's miles better than the pucka Bigsby on my friend's. http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG073&product=3625C-3625A-3625G&sid3=d6f5814aea61839a48fde74fd3ac3fbd
    Hmm. Interested.
    Is it considered bad form to Bigsby a Les Paul? Gasp.
  • RMJ said:
    Is it considered bad form to Bigsby a Les Paul? Gasp.
    as far as I am concerned YES!