SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wanted - Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

What's Hot
Hi

I am looking for a gift for my husband. I would like a Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, but am having problems sourcing one in the UK.
Can anyone point me in the right direction / anyone have one that they would like to sell?

Many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good choice. They are lovely. @ESchap had one for sale recently - not sure if it sold. There was one at vintage and rare in Bath a while back. Also PMT had one in the Norwich store. It may have gone to another branch, so try phoning the individual branches. However, this guitar did have an issue with the bridge. It had been glued, and then come away from the top, and glued again. It didn't sit flush on the top. So haggle them down if it's still for sale.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Mine has gone, great guitars.  Good luck with the search.
  • Hi Chaps :-) thanks for the replies. Have emailed vintage and rare and will await their reply. Glad you think it's a good choice. I know nothing about guitars to play - have bought a fair few for presents though. Hubby is a huge Cure fan - he has all the standard schector signature guitars (and a one off that Porl owned) and a fender VI and jazz master etc / just really wanted to get him a quality guitar this year as he's such an awesome chap :-) really appreciate your help. X
  • He's also a lucky chap then.  Don't pay too much if you can help it, though obviously time is running out.  I would look to pay 1600 maximum, but I'm a tight-arse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 1990 one in mint condition but I would never sell it as it's a great guitar. There are a few for sale at the moment though. But be ready to spend a decent amount tho as the asking prices on the ones for sale at the movement seem strong. Two on ebay UK at the moment One at £1850 2nd at £2999
  • Musicman100 - I saw the guitars on eBay, but two are in Japan and one here in the UK for £2550 (without original case if I recall).i shall keep an eye out. Thanks for your help though - much appreciated :-)
  • There is one up in Berwick Upon Tweed, The Music Gallery. Lovely condition and sounds amaaaazing!

Can totally recommend Brian and the staff there... only come across them recently but they work hard to maintain their reputation. Ring him directly to get the best price. I nearly bought it a couple of weeks ago - it was just out of my price range!

Good luck.
  • There is a wine red one in burnley at 1850 with original case too, I don't think you'll go wrong with that.

As for the one in Berwick on tweed that's way over price at 2999 or best offer.
  • 3K is just stupid.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    edited December 2015
    I am very happy to attest that they are fantastic guitars but yes, that is just stupid. :)
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    From my recent selling experience, I'd say £1500 - £1800 for one with normal wear and scars, .  Up to £2k perhaps for an immaculate one.
    Unless it has an especially smelly original case. :)
  • I agree up to £2000 for a mint one but no more.
  • The other option is a Gretsch country gent.
    I'd say that if it came with an original, smelly case that reeked of a thousand old smokey jazz bars, it should be an extra £1k - it's totally authentic and really can't be replicated. . ;)
  • In my opinion the gretsch made in Japan would be a higher quality guitar n if u watch ebay they auction at decent money. There are more of the about than the gibson country gent.
    Not in Chet's view... he's on record as saying he liked the Gibson better and that it was more in line with what he'd originally meant the guitar to be. Maybe he was just pissed off with Gretsch by then. 
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    edited December 2015
    I had a lovely Japanese one that nobody was interested in, it was professionally resprayed black and looked the business. Ended up letting it go for £1100. Should have kept it really.
  • I bought my gibson country from a local guy who had it advertised at 1000 n he was getting nothing but time wasters n I got it for £800 cash two years ago.