For Those Of You Emotionally Hit By The Loss Of Bowie...

What's Hot

Which Bowies song(s) are getting you most at the moment?

Radio 6 was virtually non-stop yesterday with Bowie tracks and a lot today.  Where Are We Now? seems almost predictably painful moving especially as a lot of us suspected at the time that that was in fact a kind of goodbye note.  @Deijavoo mentioned that the upbeat songs were getting to him. 

Kooks was playing at the birth of both our sons and Modern Love was our wedding song so both have strong emotional connections.  That said it is Heroes that currently leaves me absolutely choked.  Like so much of his stuff it has always meant a lot to me but it kind of seems like the greatest message he ever gave (and left) for oddballs and outsiders and kind of epitomises his importance to lives and culture beyond music alone.     

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    Possibly fairly predictable, but…

Space Oddity
    Changes
    Five Years
    Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
    Low - second side
    Heroes - title track and the second side
    Ashes To Ashes
    Let's Dance
    Strangers When We Meet
    Everyone Says Hi

I haven't got the new album yet - or the last one, in fact - but I'm intending to get both on Thursday.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gave blackstar the song a spin jsut now and thats nothing like what youd expect a 69 year old to write..really good. Great video too with lots of references to previous bowie songs. I reccomend it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Today is different:

Well, sort of a Bowie track. I guess this just reminds me of my childhood:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ LOL made me smile.  The boys like Saturday film and sweet night and we've all agreed that Labyrinth is the obvious choice for this week.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    Another one, kinda off centre: 

• SCMIVSCMIV Frets: 14

'The Idiot' was my go-to yesterday... definitely 'Mass Production'.

But aside from that 'Diamond Dogs' (title track, and 'Candidate')...

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Where are We Now

Space Oddity - or Major Tom as my four year old daughter calls it. We've been playing that together for the past few weeks coincidently. She sings I play.

China Girl

The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Heroes came on the radio Monday evening in my kitchen and I suddenly choked up.
  • "Jean, Jeanie", most of Ziggy Stardust, "Heroes", "China Girl", "Panic in Detroit", just a few of a list too big to mention.  I saw him live at the "Serious Moonlight" tour, great memories. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    close2u;932256" said:
    Heroes came on the radio Monday evening in my kitchen and I suddenly choked up.
    Yep - hearing Heroes on the radio got me.

To be fair, it often did - one of those pieces of music that's hard-wired to the soul for me.

I listened to a lot of radio on Monday (I was driving all over the place) - it was the best day of music I can remember. An astonishing body of work....
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Blackstar - I gave it a proper listen yesterday while getting my head down at work and the song is haunting me since, I couldn't get it out of my head all evening. Intending on listening to as much Bowie as possible today.
    eSully said:
    Blackstar - I gave it a proper listen yesterday while getting my head down at work and the song is haunting me since, I couldn't get it out of my head all evening. Intending on listening to as much Bowie as possible today.

I personally think it's his finest work. Don't expect many to agree with me, but for what I like about David Bowie, this encapsulates it perfectly.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Deijavoo said:
    eSully said:

I personally think it's his finest work. Don't expect many to agree with me, but for what I like about David Bowie, this encapsulates it perfectly.
    It's beautifully haunting and in context as we now know it really makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. I don't agree with you that it's his finest work but that doesn't mean I don't think it's brilliant
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Ziggy & all the Ronson stuff.

I was totally into the This White Duke era stuff too (and quite liked Tin Machine, I know that makes me a minority oddball)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I love Tin Machine.
  • I like Tin Machine too :)

Blackstar is my favourite of his later output by far, only time will tell how it fits into his legacy.

Like many, Heroes (song and album) is probably the one I'm most emotionally connected to. Spent a lot of time with that album.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Bewlay Brothers from Hunky Dory for me.
  • The Blackstar album is stunning. Listening to it, knowing he was aware of his fate when he wrote it, makes it an incredibly intimate piece of work.