Serratus's 2016 build challenge

What's Hot
This is my plan:

7-string Les Paul junior style guitar, loosely based on a Huber Krautster.
Pine 4-piece body (pine bought from my local Wickes!), bound in cream plastic (binding left over from a previous build), stained brown with a brown burst on the front. Sprayed with amber nitro – thin coat because I only have a tiny bit left!

Set neck, also 4-piece pine, I think stained brown and oiled with the headstock front lacquered. Mahogany fretboard, which I fabricated from an old leftover piece a while back. 25.5” scale, 22-fret, jumbo fretwire. Mahogany veneer on front of headstock (from a free sample pack of veneers that I've had for years). Dot inlays rescued from an old fingerboard I replaced. Brass nut which I'm going to make from a piece of brass bar I had left over from some previous project.

I'm going to attempt to make a wraparound bridge from a tailpiece that I've had left over in a box for years (from an old build when I bought a bridge and tailpiece combo but just used the bridge with string-through-body ferrules, leaving the tailpiece left over). I want to insert some brass in the top of the tailpiece for the strings to go over, and I'm going to insert an ash offcut into the body for the bridge posts to locate into as I think the pine might be a bit soft.

Black Ibanez tuners that I removed from a second-hand RG7321 neck when I replaced them with gold ones. They're 7-in-line whereas the head is going to be 4+3 so I might have to angle them or the headstock a bit to get it to look ok. We'll see.

Single bridge P-90 pickup, which is a pickup I built about ten years ago. This was back when 7-string parts where more difficult to find, so I built this P-90 from plastic, and a brass baseplate from a knackered Schaller Hot Stuff. I then sent it to Tim Mills (Bareknuckle boss!) who wound and potted it for me. It sounds great (although I've only had it in the neck position before), but looks a bit rough, but it fits under a dog-ear six string P-90 cover, so I'm going to use a cream one over it.

Volume and tone controls using old pots/knobs I have sat in my parts box, and a scratchplate and cavity cover made from some old cream plastic. Jack plug on plate on the edge of the guitar.

So far allowing for all the second hand parts, etc (the wood is the only thing I needed to buy!), total cost comes to £70.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments