Finishing Headstocks

I'm currently doing a very slow build of a cheap twin neck kit.  I have decided on the finish for the body and necks but I'm seeking advice on finishing the front of the headstocks which are scarf jointed maple.  My current ideas are as follows and all comments would be gratefully received.

1) Stain the front of the headstocks black although I suspect I may have edge bleed issues with this however I would hope to retain some of the grain.

2) Paint the front of the headstocks black with an airbrush but obviously this would hide any grain but would avoid the edge bleed of the previous method.

3) Stain a piece of veneer black and bond this to the front of the headstock after the neck staining is complete but before lacquering.

4) Use the traditional headstock veneer (not sure what material you guys normally use but I have seen some before on guitar parts websites).

On top of any of these methods I would be adding a logo, either as a waterslide or airbrushing a stencil.  I think cutting an inlay would be a bridge too far for my first build.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    simplest way is to just mask the edges and back of the tuner holes and spray the front

then you can sand the edges back if you do get any bleed before doing the rest of your neck finishing
  • Thanks Wez.

The only drawback to the paint would be completely losing the grain pattern which is probably the nicest part on the whole guitar!  Trying stain is tempting but I guess until I try it I wouldn't know how bad the edge bleed would be, or if that would cover the grain as much as paint would anyway.
    What are you doing on the rest of the neck?

If staining the headstock face you could always finish the neck first, sand the headstock again, then stain... Its just a bit trickier to be neat with stain, but its just a choice on the order you do things

I should say I normally veneer, but its not the simplest solution
  • I'm going to stain the rest of the neck dark red with ink then lacquer it.

What do you use for your veneer?
    I have had loads of veneers over the years so its never a struggle to find an interesting bit for something like this... Often I use wenge because I have a lot of it and its consistently dark.

I do also use proper headplates for guitars, but they are normally 2-3mm thick so less suitable for a simple mod.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    edited February 2016
    @WezV, can .6mm veneer be bent along the grain to cover a Strat headstock?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Most can, depends on the wood. the wenge I mentioned struggles
    @WezV Walnut.......how do I get it to bend?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Walnut is usually pretty easy to bend my hand in that thickness, unless its a burr walnut, that is more brittle.

If you are struggling with it a soak in some water should help. Then clamp it in place and let dry fully before gluing.

If you are really struggling you can bend on a hot pipe

I have also used veneer softener which allows you to bend a brittle veneer fully around a pencil
    Thanks @WezV! Aplologies to the OP for thread hijack, normal service resumed.....

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1817
    Unless I'm going crazy, I have a vague memory of someone on here using diluted fabric softener for softening veneer too.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    It sounds likely, tbh water gets you most of the way there- but you don't normally need to go to those lengths for the headstock curve on a fender style neck.