Tele neck pickup

I love the bridge pickup on my '71 Tele but the neck isn't doing it for me. It's really flat sounding, with no real character at all. Any suggestions as to what I could replace it with? I'm not after anything revolutionary, just a decent standard sounding pickup that will go well with, and not overpower, the standard bridge unit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I love my Oil City Honky tonk, it kicked a Lollar Charlie Christian to the curb (great for that Jazz sound but I couldn't get a tele sound from it)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Talk to either Ash at Oil City or Marc at Mojo.

I've just changed the bridge pickup on my Tablecaster project to one of Marc's Broadcaster units and IMHO, its one of the best sounding Tele pickups I've ever heard...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• frankus said:
    I love my Oil City Honky tonk, it kicked a Lollar Charlie Christian to the curb (great for that Jazz sound but I couldn't get a tele sound from it)
    Does it sit well with the standard bridge pickup?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    It sits well the BKP Country Boy I've got in it.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    edited February 2016
    Fender Twisted Tele will give you a sweet Strat sounding neck pickup - usually about £40 secondhand?
  • I'm not too bothered about it sounding like a Strat, although the Strat neck pickup is my favourite Strat sound, so maybe that'd be a good option.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Depends what you want from the neck. Twisted Tele is sweet strat, Alnico II low power PAF if you want a singing flutey lead tone from it, etc...
  • Yeah - I don't really want to start cutting holes in it though.

I think I'll try the Honky Tonk thing.
  • I'd really recommend mojopickups. 

Marc knows his stuff inside out and if you talk to him he will know what to match your bridge pickup with
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I love the bridge pickup on my '71 Tele but the neck isn't doing it for me. It's really flat sounding, with no real character at all. Any suggestions as to what I could replace it with? I'm not after anything revolutionary, just a decent standard sounding pickup that will go well with, and not overpower, the standard bridge unit.

That isa beautiful guitar! 
  • I'd really recommend mojopickups. 

Marc knows his stuff inside out and if you talk to him he will know what to match your bridge pickup with
    Thanks. I emailed Marc and he says he knows exactly what I need, and will wind me a pickup to suit the standard '71 bridge unit. Job done.