These MIM Fender "Lacquer" models....

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4506
Are they actually thin finishes or are they like the old AVRI lacquer finishes (i.e. a nitro top coat to say it's got one over the same old thick poly base coat).

Anyone know?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019

They are lacquer over a poly base coat I believe, but I don't know how thick, or whether it's just primer, sanding sealer etc. What about the neck, is there poly under that as well?

I like the idea of these, but it seems a big price hike over the Classic Series models, although you do get a very nice case with them.

• I've got the 60s lacquer Jaguar. The finish is really nice but not sure how thick it is as its not had its first ding yet!

I don't think the price is too bad on these at all, because it's not just the finish. You also get US vintage 65 pickups and a hard case with the Jaguar.
  • Oh great, these had escaped my attention.

Now I want a fiesta red one. Imagine how cool it will look when the red fades? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6316
    I've had my Telecaster Classic 50's Lacquer for about 2.5 years now. The poly coat is thinner than a standard MIM model and the guitar body feels very resonant, not that solid feel that standard MIM's have. It's lighter in weight too than the MIM Standard I had for a while, it weighs 6lb 12oz. The colour has started to age too, I took a photo last time the guard was off and it's starting to become quite noticeable. I have it on a hanger by a window and as a result one side is more yellowed than the other, I think I may turn its face to the wall to try and balance it up. I highly recommend them, they are great guitars.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom