Vol - Treble - Bass controls on guitar

I'm doing some more planning for my hard-tail Strat build and now looking at electronics. Anyone got any experience of using a passive bass control on a guitar? Something like this http://www.planetz.com/treble-and-bass/ Seems that it was a uniquely G&L thing:

I'm wondering if it earns its keep? Especially when plugging into amps with excess bottom end emphasis.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I thought it was excellent when I first got my g&l but after I'd had it a while it became a bit of a faff as I was constantly adjusting them.

I ended up rewiring it with standard strat config vol/tone/tone and was a lot happier. YMMV
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I wired up a Strat with the G&L style treble and bass controls a few years ago.  Interesting for a while, but never really found much use for cutting the bottom end off single coils.  Always wanted to give that setup a try with humbuckers though, could be rather handy indeed.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Reverend put them on a lot of their models too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    Thanks chaps. It is for a dual-HB guitar, and for the reason that neck humbuckers into some cranked vintage amps can be a bit too woofly. It'd be good to be able to roll that off a bit. Will see if I can find a schematic that shows what Reverend did.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    edited February 2016
    I think the Reverend is the same circuit - have got/had a few and the Contour control is useful but bear in mind it will suit some pickups better than others, and you may find like I did that a switch that sends the whole signal through the low value cap just before the signal gets to the jack is more useful.

Here Josh at CME demonstrates it rather well.
    Thanks - have now found a few Web references and I think you're right that the Reverend is the same circuit as the G&Ls.

Good point, too, on just using a switched cap instead - maybe two values with a centre-off toggle?
    Yes, the Reverend circuit is the same - just a cap in series with the pickups and bypassed by a variable resistance.

You can do it with a switch, yes. Bear in mind that the cap values are roughly 1/10th of the ones you need for a standard tone control, so .0022uF or .0047uF are not typos if you see them on a schematic :).

Rickenbacker also used a .0047uF on the bridge pickups of their vintage instruments, and have it switchable on the current 4003 bass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks. Will mock it up as an inline stomper between guitar and amp and try it on a couple of guitars with similar pickups.
    goldtop said:
    Thanks. Will mock it up as an inline stomper between guitar and amp and try it on a couple of guitars with similar pickups.
    Just make sure you keep the guitar volume up full or it won't give an accurate representation of how it will work between the pickup switch and the volume control.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    edited February 2016
    ICBM;984688" said:
    goldtop said:

Just make sure you keep the guitar volume up full or it won't give an accurate representation of how it will work between the pickup switch and the volume control.
    Thanks for correcting me regarding cap location @ICBM :) @goldtop - your 2 cap idea is good, but be prepared that you may find you only use one setting - I find I use the Reverend Contour either fully on or fully off. You're straying into Gibson Varitone territory :)
    Chalky said:
    You're straying into Gibson Varitone territory :)
    Half a dozen sounds, but only one of them (with it turned off!) any good?

;)