New neck?

I'm after a decent (yet cheap) neck for a tele project. Anyone recommend a good source or shall I just get a Squier one from eBay?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CH guitars?

Squier ones are really expensive when they've been seperated from the body, for what they are. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11855
    tFB Trader
    I have a CH block inlay Strat neck on my project Coronado at the moment. Nicely made if a trifle 'skinny' in profile.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2371
    I thought squire necks had a slightly different neck profile than others strats so it may not be a snug fit. Not basing this on any great knowledge, but I remember buying a squier body and having a bit of difficulty finding a neck to fit it.
  • thomasw88 said:
    I thought squire necks had a slightly different neck profile than others strats so it may not be a snug fit. Not basing this on any great knowledge, but I remember buying a squier body and having a bit of difficulty finding a neck to fit it.
    It's really a case of the width at the heel relative to the neck pocket on the body. I had all sorts of trouble trying to find a neck to replace the one on my '89 Squier Strat - being ignorant of this issue, I bought a licensed Mighty Mite only to find that it was 55.5mm at the heel, whereas the neck pocket was 57.5mm.

The most annoying thing about it is that Squier necks vary wildly from 55.5mm to 58mm at the heel, so you really do have to make sure you've got the right one before buying.
    <space for hire>
  • I haven't had a Squier neck or body that wasn't 55.5mm at the heel. That covers ones across the range from about 2001 onwards, they've all been standard sizes since then - with the exception that the Affinity & Bullet series have 41mm nut widths.