SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD : Vintage 1974 Marshal Cab, Flightcase + Empty 1970ish Marshall Cab

What's Hot
breadfanbreadfan Frets: 383
edited March 2016 in Amps £
I have two vintage Marshall cabs for sale.

The first is from 1974 (dated by the speaker cone codes) & is loaded with four original Celestion 'Blackback' speakers. These are effectively 'Greenback' speakers from the era. The labels have fallen off but the speakers can be identified by the chassis & cone codes.

It's an incredible sounding cab, but I haven't had the chance to use it much since I bought it & I could do with freeing up some space. 

This cab comes with a full flightcase from the Dublin Flightcase Company.

The second cab is an EMPTY (ie, no speakers!) very early 70s Marshall cab, that's had its tolex & grill cloth removed & been painted in black paint - the atrocities were committed long before it came into my possession!

This cab has metal handles, a particleboard back and metal speaker protectors. 

I had intended to restore it but it's functioning perfectly as is - I had a mixed set of 70s Greenback speakers in it & it sounded sublime!

Note, this is a cab only, no speakers, although it is loaded in the photos. Again, I need the space - otherwise I'd be keeping it..

I'm based in Ireland. Both cabs are in storage about 45 mins outside Dublin, but I can bring them to the city for collection. They're heavy & I've no suitable packaging materials, so shipping probably isn't an option.

I'm looking for €400 for the lot, which is about £315.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 135

If all 4 speaker codes are GJ this dates them to '76 and not '74.  Celestion date codes are NOT easy to get your head around!! 

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 383
    I can't remember the site I got the info from but I think this chassis code was used for a few years, but the cone code was specific to 1974.

Like you said though, they're not straightforward!

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    You can't date a Celestion from the cone code.

The chassis code is definitive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1532
    edited March 2016
    I will take both of these. PM me please.

74 is correct. The date codes are in reverse, and they would have had cream covers originally, not black. The other stripped down cab is likely to be from 71.

All the little details like the cone codes do help when dating old Celestions, you cannot rely entirely on the chassis code. Because as shown here, some were printed back to front, or might have other typos.

Yes the cone codes are relevant in dating the speakers because the RIC cones were only being used from late 73 to late 75. They would have been stamped 1777 in 1976. I did a blog post on this for my website. Basically all the little details like that will help in the dating process because certain features are period specific:

http://www.bygonetones.com/home/back-to-front-celestion-date-codes

I also wrote this page about dating celestion greenbacks without looking at the date code:

http://www.bygonetones.com/how-to-date-vintage-celestion-greenbacks.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom