SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Vox AC30 HW Head £600 *Sold*

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
edited March 2016 in Amps £

This is a rather fetching 2010 AC30 head, cosmetically tweaked with a tan handle and black vents which I think look a little nicer than the cream on cream on cream stock look. This was my main amp for three years for recording and gigging, but my style and tastes have changed a bit and it's just not getting the use it deserves over the last 18 months. Besides the changes, it's in fantastic condition all round.

I'm a bit of a tweaker and the HW layout is easy to work on, so it's had a few mods done on it to get it away from what I think is the slightly stiff and modern stock sound of the HW series when compared to older AC30s;

- Replaced Filter Caps with F&T brand, and lowered power filtering in the preamp (Gives a smoother transition into overdrive, more open tone, and a looser, thicker distortion when cranked. Brings the circuit closer to vintage spec and in my opinion, a major improvement)

- Classic Tone Output Transformer (I'll admit this was a pretty subtle change but it did make the mids at max volume nicer and gave the amp a little more thump)

- UK Made Choke (Made by Danbury Electronics, turns out a choke is a choke, it's not better or worse but I wouldn't spend the £50 again!)

- Cathode resistor changed from 47 to 56 ohms ( No tonal change but makes EL84s Bias less hot and last longer)

- 15 watt mode (which just increases the cathode resistor value to bias the EL84s very cold) now puts out about 20 watts and sounds way better.

- Coupling Caps replaced with Mallory 150 series.

- With the ceramic treble caps, I tried quite a few different kinds including Silver Mica and Polystyrene. The different kinds made an audible difference in certain positions, and I was surprised how often it turns out Ceramic was the best choice, so I went back to that. Exceptions are the Top Boost 500pf cap where Silver Mica sounded thicker, and again the 47pf cap in the tone stack. The bright caps were lowered *slightly* - 180pf on the normal channel, 100pf on the top boost.

What this gives is a reliable handwired AC30 that sounds great clean or cranked, takes pedals very well and has a big, dynamic open sound. I appreciate that the mods don't add any value to the amp and that I might come across as a mad scientist, but I'd be very happy to let anyone interested in the amp loose with it to try for themselves, I'm based in Birmingham and have a lockup room in the city centre where amps can be cranked.

Included is the original footswitch to engage "Hot" mode on the Top Boost Channel, and a Hotcovers soft cover. The valves were replaced in January - JJ for EL84s and GZ34, Tung Sols in V1 and V3 and Golden Dragon in the V2 cathode follower position.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments