Is this really a 1983 Fullerton Strat?

What's Hot

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2049
    Went and had a look at it.  E2 serial in neck pocket, unused truss rod dimple in body, unused micro-tilt plate in neck, yellow wire from bridge pickup.  A few dings.  Neck date 28/11/83, J Torres.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Went and had a look at it.  E2 serial in neck pocket, unused truss rod dimple in body, unused micro-tilt plate in neck, yellow wire from bridge pickup.  A few dings.  Neck date 28/11/83, J Torres.
    And did you buy it? :)

If there was no pressure mark on the neck tilt plate then richardhomer is correct and it left the factory like that, even as late as the end of '83.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    And did you buy it? :)

If there was no pressure mark on the neck tilt plate then richardhomer is correct and it left the factory like that, even as late as the end of '83.
    Might have :)

It does seem to have a mark but I'm no expert.

Not sure - I think that's the centring mark from it being turned in manufacture… it's too small and not quite in the right place (should be perfectly in line with the two screw holes, but it's very slightly further forward) to be a pressure mark from the screw, which looks more like this:

So I think my bet is on it being factory original, although apparently not a model that should have existed. How and why is now anyone's guess!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gubblegubble Frets: 1826
    To be fair, you've got a guitar that at the very least is something a bit rare and different. To buy it you obviously really liked it and I'm massively jealous because it's a beautiful looking instrument.
    edited April 2016
    I thought the string tree theory was interesting but then this proves the two-knob Elites did leave the factory like that sometimes.  Close E328 serial.

Edit: the pic below is from the Reverb ad of a different guitar, not my guitar, proving the butterfly trees were indeed fitted to two-knobbers.

So are we confident that this is a genuine Smith body?
    edited April 2016
    So are we confident that this is a genuine Smith body?
    Yes. The exact shaping of the routs, the notch for the ground screw, and the unusual shape of the shielding foil and the mark it's left in the body are all correct, as well as the overall shape as mentioned earlier, the bridge, neckplate, front strap button position etc.

Here's another one:

The Elite in your link has the USA Std-type modern string trees, not the butterflies. The neck like yours is should have them too, hence why richard (and I) think it left the factory attached to this body - the modern ones have a second pin hole, which wouldn't be covered by the bushings on your one.

edited April 2016
    Really appreciate the info, @ICBM. ; That wiring is practically identical to what's on this black one except no yellow wire (presumably X1  single coil?) in your pic like there is on this one.

Sorry to labour the string tree point - somehow I did get the Reverb link wrong (doh!) but the inline pic above is taken from the Reverb ad, and it does show factory butterfly trees on a two-knob.  Which does slightly contradict the factory theory, which is actually not in my favour but hey-ho!

Correct link:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/283457-1983-fender-stratocaster-strat-black-w-ohsc
    One other point - your pic above shows the Smith-era scratchplate with the expected mini cut-out for the neck truss rod access.  This one, as you say, is practically identical in terms of wiring and shielding, but doesn't have the cut-out, because it's not needed.  But if the scratchplate is factory, the whole guitar must be factory otherwise it would have the cut-out.  Does that make sense?
    edited April 2016
    Ah - got it.

You're right - if some of the earlier '83/'84s did have factory butterfly trees then it does make it more likely that it's a put-together. A really close inspection of the neck tilt to check for marks from the tilt screw may be the only way of proving it, and even that wouldn't be totally conclusive since it's possible that the screw wouldn't have been tightened much beyond 'contact' if the neck didn't need tilting.

Yes, the yellow wire indicates the X1 bridge pickup - the Dan Smiths came with these usually, although judging by that pic, not all of them!

Given the utter chaos that appears to have been going on at Fender around this time, I wouldn't rule anything out…

I think at the end of the day we know all the parts are genuine Fender, so I don't think it's wrong to describe it as an '83 Fender Strat - you can easily find definitely factory-original Fenders with neck and body dates that differ by up to a couple of years around this time or a bit later. If it plays and sounds great you've got a bargain, and if it doesn't I'm pretty sure someone else will be happy to take it off you :).

• westwest Frets: 1012
    Ive enjoyed reading through the thread ....
    :)

I had a dan smith strat about 20 years ago, i think it was an 82 , it had the small headstock but with the large decal . it was white with a maple neck , it was an absolute boat anchor heavy barstaad ... it was ok , nothing special the weight made me get shut , pickups were ok but a bit thin , i sold it to a private dealer who removed the neck and pickguard to confirm its status , i only have one picture of it i will try an link to it .....
    west said:
    I had a dan smith strat about 20 years ago, i think it was an 82 , it had the small headstock but with the large decal . it was white with a maple neck , it was an absolute boat anchor heavy barstaad ... it was ok , nothing special the weight made me get shut , pickups were ok but a bit thin.
    I'll have you know Andrew Ridgeley got a great tone from his '82 hardtail Dan Smith Strat.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3844
    I think you got a nice interesting buy there OP.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    ICBM;1023276" said:
    I'll have you know Andrew Ridgeley got a great tone from his '82 hardtail Dan Smith Strat.

A classic case of 'it's all in the fingers'.
    Yes im sure ....
    i used it quite a bit on sessions for the clean/funky stuff , it could be a bit noisy tho' , facebook dosnt want  to let me link my pic ... oh well ...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17460
    The big problem with guitars like this is you may have to go through it all again if you decide to sell.

But that looks pretty cool
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    WezV;1023364" said:
    The big problem with guitars like this is you may have to go through it all again if you decide to sell.

And a good example of theFretboard's collective endeavour to help.

I almost feel like we all own the guitar now....
    Thank you Richard, I would wholeheartedly endorse that point. I'm very grateful to all those that helped, particularly yourself and @ICBM. As can be seen in the thread I went from thinking it might be a fake, to understanding it, to buying it.

I might even stop wondering about its provenance and play it later...

(I still can't help thinking the lack of truss rod scratchplate dimple means it's factory though...)
    richardhomer;1023451" said:
    [quote="WezV;1023364"]The big problem with guitars like this is you may have to go through it all again if you decide to sell.

And a good example of theFretboard's collective endeavour to help.

I almost feel like we all own the guitar now....
    [/quote]