SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

[SOLD] FS: late '60s Laney Supergroup 100W valve PA, Partridge transformers, Tungsram EL34s

parker_knollparker_knoll Frets: 85
edited April 2016 in Amps £

Just stuck this on eBay. I use one as my main amp and have done for about four years now. Bought this is as a backup but I need money for a trip. 

These are great, handwired tagboard amps, with Partridge transformers. You can't get better than the quality of these components. Also, this one comes with two Tungsram EL34s, which go for lots of money. I wish it was four, but you can't have everything. 

Here's a vid demonstrating my one-wire mod cascading two of the six preamp channels. Lots of horrible camera mic compression and no bass. I stop waffling after 2m56s: 

Full listing below. I do have a box to post this, but pickup as always preferred. 

Based in London, zone 1, South East. Looking for £275

PHOTOS: https://www.flickr.com/photos/abdul_tom/albums/72157666905680612

VINTAGE BRITISH HANDWIRED ALL VALVE PA AMP

• PARTRIDGE TRANSFORMERS AS USED IN HIWATTS
  • 2 x TUNGSRAM EL34, 2 X BRIMAR EL34
  • FULLY BUFFERED TUBE EFFECTS LOOP
  • WORKS ON US VOLTAGE
  • GLOBAL SHIPPING
  • RECENTLY PROFESSIONALLY SERVICED

Here's a nice Laney Supergroup 100W valve PA, ready to mod should you choose. This is an early model - you can tell by the plexi front and early Partridge transformers. There's no way to date this exactly but I'd guess 1966-8. 

These are amazing amps. I use one as my main guitar amp and gig with it. This was a backup but I'm selling because I need money. Incidentally, I'm selling it at a slight loss when i factor in the (quite high) cost of the service. 

I'll lay out its features below:

- 6 individual preamp channels. Every preamp channel has its own preamp valve and tone circuit. This is great for modding.

- 100W power output stage with Partridge transformers. Partridge were used in Hiwatts and are basically the best you can get in terms of transformers in my view. Really wide fat frequency response. 

- Supplied with 2 x Tungsram EL34 power tubes and 2 x Brimar EL34s. You'll see people selling pairs of Tungsram EL34 for £100 on their own. 7 x vintage Brimar ECC83 and 1 x vintage Mazda ECC82 preamp tubes. 

Frank from JPF advised me that the power tubes are not particularly well matched. Two matched pairs or a better still a matched quad will give quietest operation. 

- Works on all voltages, including 110V US voltage

- Genuine buffered effects loop. Yes folks, on a vintage Orange, for example, the FX loop is not really an effects loop. It's just an interrupt on the circuit going out and back in again. Here, however, we have a proper extra valve take up stage on the loop return. I often run my signal through a mixer and that's one of the reasons i use one of these amps, It works great. 

- Vintage Plexiglass front. There are some stress cracks - see photos. 

There's a few very simple mods you can do to turn this amp into a firebreather. First up, bypass the tone circuit for more gain. This is a one wire mod. Secondly, run one of the preamp channels straight into the next one. This gives you cascading gain. I've done this and it sounds great. Don't forget you have six channels to play with. You can cascade three channels, two channels, and leave one stock as clean. Mine is modded to use two channels for reverb with full EQ, input and output controls. 

This amp was professionally serviced this month by JPF Amplifiers in London.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments