SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: 2 Handmade Amps - Single Ended Plexi and Matchless Lightning ... Now with video.

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3132
edited April 2016 in Amps £ tFB Trader
I have far too many amps now - keep building them and never playing them so someone else may as well benefit.

First up - Matchless Lightning type circuit. 2xEL84 for an amp that's loud, punchy and has a decent amount of headroom. Active 2 band EQ is unlike anything else out there and you can shape some really great tones. Loud and aggressive vox-style overdrive when cranked. Master volume is very useful too.

Probably slightly quieter than a genuine Matchless as the transformers are a little smaller to keep the size of the build down. 

This amp is built into a cab made of jointed solid strips of black African walnut, with a satin tru-oil finish. The grain and finishing really is lovely to look at.

It's also tiny - ideal for carrying to gigs or jam sessions. 

£350 would take this one and I'll order and fit a new set of valves.

Next up is something a little different ...

It's a Marshall Plexi style circuit - into a single EL84 - think of it as the high gain channel of a plexi with slightly less headroom. Not too much headroom, depending on pickups, but lots of lovely crunch and drive available. Unlike most single ended amps the circuit includes a faux phase inverter and negative feedback as well as a cathode follower for the tone control. This makes it behave a lot more like a real plexi.

Switchable boost at the front end, master volume and a single knob tone control make this a simple turn on and rock out amp. 

Also features a VVR circuit to power scale the whole amp - so you can reduce the wattage at the turn of a knob - perfect for high gain at home! Use this in conjunction with the master volume and you get all sorts of tonal possibilities.

It's set up with a nice NOS EL84 at present which I'll leave in.

As you can see it's I've gone for a bold finish in bright green tolex, might be an acquired taste but I think it looks great.

£300 would take this.

I'm in Queensbury, West Yorkshire if anyone fancies trying one out.

May entertain trades too but cash would be much preferred.
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 867
    that Plexi in green has got me fully erect...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
    Do you have anything 6v6 and tweedy??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3132
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter;1035187" said:
    Do you have anything 6v6 and tweedy??
    Yep. I have a 5e3 clone, but it's mine and I love it. :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    So the Green Plexi.

How much gain are we talking ? Angus ? Eddie ?
    edited April 2016 tFB Trader
    @DrBob I'd say more Angus than Eddie. Would need a boost pedal in front to get really high gain. Crunch to overdrive would be good description. Although it does get more saturated when you turn the voltage down.

I can try do a vid if you like? Playing will be really basic though as I get nervous and 100x worse at playing on video ... :-)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Dan, as ever, they look stonking !!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    4114Effects;1036271" said:
    @DrBob I'd say more Angus than Eddie. Would need a boost pedal in front to get really high gain. Crunch to overdrive would be good description. Although it does get more saturated when you turn the voltage down.

I can try do a vid if you like? Playing will be really basic though as I get nervous and 100x worse at playing on video ... :-)
    Dan that's very kind of you but I think I'm coming at this arse backwards. I love the look of it so much I'm willing it to be the amp I want !
    That said should you ever get the urge to build a 15-20w Hi Gain single channel + boost with VVR in a cab like that then do bear me in mind !

I'd have to shift the Budda first mind you
    tFB Trader

Right, here's a very quick video taken on my phone of me playing a few chords (excuse the tuning ...) on the Marshall Plexi style amp. Clean first then with the gain up to about 3/4.

Played on a Baja Telecaster flicking between positions throughout the video.

Amp was at around 3 on the master as I'm quite fond of my ears - this is a loud 8watt amp!
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
    edited April 2016

If you sell give me a shout.
    tFB Trader
    Matchless provisionally sold pending payment and all that jazz :-)
    tFB Trader
    Matchless now sold. Green machine still available :-)
  • ChairsChairs Frets: 52
    edited May 2018
    I’m retroactively amending all my comments for privacy’s sake. I know they’re cached in places, but this is still a best attempts effort. Mods - if any rules have been broken, please revert this post.
    I've been around since MusicRadar as Schpudd. Current feedback here. Or eBay feedback on request.
    tFB Trader
    @Chairs , I'll post for free:)
  • ChairsChairs Frets: 52
    edited May 2018
    I’m retroactively amending all my comments for privacy’s sake. I know they’re cached in places, but this is still a best attempts effort. Mods - if any rules have been broken, please revert this post.
    I've been around since MusicRadar as Schpudd. Current feedback here. Or eBay feedback on request.
    tFB Trader
    Bump - trades for a Baby Taylor or GS mini or similar travel guitar would be lovely! smile emoticon
    tFB Trader
    Forgot about this. Somebody has just been around to test another amp today and played this too, he was raving how good it was so here's a bump. :)