The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Cheers, will check it out. 
    I'm still having trouble with getting lumpwood hot enough for grilling. For the kebabs, I used a bag Bar Be Quick lumpwood which I took out of the bag you'd usually set light and started it off in my chimney. After 20-30 min, the coals at the top were ashing over so I chucked them in the kettle, lid on for 5min, add kebabs and lid back on - I reckon they must've taken 30min to cook!
    The recipe I followed said they should take under ten minutes and I was using less chicken. 

This the stuff I used - is it just really shit or am I doing something wrong?
    https://groceries.asda.com/product/matches-fire-lighters/bar-be-quick-instant-lighting-barbecue-charcoal/1000080993961

Honestly I can't recommend Weber Briquettes enough. They're a bit more expensive than supermarket stuff but I can get two cooks out of one chimney full, as long as I'm doing standard bbq things (kebabs, burgers etc). Once you've finished cooking, close all the vents and go to bed. Next time you want a quick barbie, knock the ash off the briquettes and put them in the chimney and relight! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for that, I've used the same brand's briquettes for low n slow and they seemed ok. this is the second time I've used their lumpwood and had the same problems. 
    Has anyone tried restaurant grade lumpwood? A friend recommended it for grilling, saying it lasts a long time.

Would you usually use briquettes for grilling? I though tit was more for longer, lower temp cooks?
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Don't use instant light.  You don't need or want any kind of liquid fuel in your food.  I use restaurant grade lumpwood for grilling and briquettes for low and slow.  10 mins would be about right for grilling. 

What barbecue are you using?  Were the coals white when you cooked?  vents open/closed etc.  
  • Thanks for that, I've used the same brand's briquettes for low n slow and they seemed ok. this is the second time I've used their lumpwood and had the same problems. 
    Has anyone tried restaurant grade lumpwood? A friend recommended it for grilling, saying it lasts a long time.

Would you usually use briquettes for grilling? I though tit was more for longer, lower temp cooks?
    I use briquettes for both! Perhaps incorrectly.

• Don't use instant light.  You don't need or want any kind of liquid fuel in your food.  I use restaurant grade lumpwood for grilling and briquettes for low and slow.  10 mins would be about right for grilling. 

What barbecue are you using?  Were the coals white when you cooked?  vents open/closed etc.  
    Weber 57cm Bar B Kettle with the daisy wheels on the bottom. Started with Top wide open and bottom 3 half closed, then opened them up to try and increase temp. The coals had a layer of white ash over after 20ish minutes in the chimney starter which is when I put them in the bbq.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited June 2020
    I only grill at the mo but its working great. I open both vents fully. Ive used the Weber Briquettes and home bargains briquettes. Weber are better but i managed with both. When i finished cooking i close both vents and leave. The following day i got the wire mesh cover of my old fire pit type barby (shape fits exactly upside down over dusbin.) I sieve the ash off the coals and then put some new coals in the fire starter with the old ones on top. Barby tonight and tomorrow as i keep getting caught out with the rain at the weekend. Got my fire glow  eco  firelighters from the co op. £3 a bag. You get about 15-20 not sure but they work great.
    edited June 2020
    Maybe a silly question but here goes.
    I bought briquettes and the only ones i could get were ones that you light the bag.
    Would i be better off just using the briquettes without the firelighter bag, to avoid any smells etc from the bag itself or would it make no difference?
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Thanks for that, I've used the same brand's briquettes for low n slow and they seemed ok. this is the second time I've used their lumpwood and had the same problems. 

The briquettes I used where the ones I used for my previous cook. When doing quick grilling I would normally use lumpwood, but it was just more convenient to use the briquettes because they where already on the grill. I charred the thighs over direct heat for around ten minutes, then indirectly for another five, with a slice of gouda on top of each. They're still ok for another (quick) cook, so will get three cooks out of one pile of briquettes.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    You can use briquettes for either but they burn longer and more consistently  hence better for low and slow. However they tend to cost more than lumpwood so don’t grill with them if you’ve got both types on hand. 
  • Just checked and the stuff I used works out at £2.50/kg! :open_mouth: 
    I'll be ordering a 15kg bag of decent charcoal for £25 for the next cook.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    With the weber briquettes I can get my kettle up to 300c / 575 f especially with a vortex unit

That's hot enough for everything!
    I opened the bag of briquettes (The ones with the flammable bag) and poured them into the fire starter and lit them. 3ft high flames followed.I had to cover the decking rails with wet tea towels it got that close lol. Died down eventually and worked fine for grilling. I think tonight i will leave them in the bag and not use the firestarter. 
  • Got a boneless pork shoulder for my next attempt. Been looking at various recipes but still not sure how long to allow for smoking it. 
    It’s only 1.5kg and most recipes I’ve seen are for bigger lumps. Sure I could work it out but if anyone has any pointers I’m all ears. :)
    Already aware it needs to get to 95°C but an idea of oven temp and times would be a big help. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267

Got a boneless pork shoulder for my next attempt. Been looking at various recipes but still not sure how long to allow for smoking it. 
    It’s only 1.5kg and most recipes I’ve seen are for bigger lumps. Sure I could work it out but if anyone has any pointers I’m all ears. :)
    Already aware it needs to get to 95°C but an idea of oven temp and times would be a big help. 
    @Longtallronnie I found this video the most helpful. My first attempt at pulled pork was a disaster, but after following the guidelines in this one mg second attempt came out perfectly. It explains all the relevant temperatures you need to take note of.

Good luck mate. Hope it works for you too. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Cheers dude, I watched that video but it didn’t mention times. I know it’s difficult to say it will take exactly x hours to cook but just trying to plan roughly when to start so we’re not still waiting for dinner at midnight lol. 
    I’m guessing around 4-5 hours should do it. Give or take a couple. :lol:
  • Going for it tomorrow, dad’s birthday so hopefully having him round for some pulled pork sliders with apple sauce, stuffing, bbq sauce, coleslaw etc. 
    Got a bag of apple wood chips - would’ve preferred chunks but couldn’t get any in time. 

Been browsing various sites looking at firing methods etc and came across one that probably explained why I’ve not been getting on with lumpwood. I think I’ve been leaving it on the chimney too long so most of the coals are already spent. 
    https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/how-to-use-chimney-starter/
    Oh well, using briquettes and minion method  tomorrow. Gonna start around 10ish, aiming for a 5-6 hour cook so should hopefully allow some time for dicking about. If it’s ready earlier I’m guessing it’ll be fine if it’s wrapped and keep the bbq on a lower temp. 
    Failing that, it’ll be fish and chips!
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    I can't remember the weight of the boneless pork shoulder I did but it was £18ish from the local butcher and cooking time was just over 7 hours.

I did have some stone blocks between the coals and the drip tray and then one more on the top grate just to deflect the heat a bit more so that maybe added time. I also think I could have wrapped in foil a bit earlier and ramped the heat up
    I last did a bone in pork shoulder weighing around 2.1 Kg and it took about 6-7 hours.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s been in since 10am, wrapped at 1pm and currently at 80°C. Temp starting to drop a bit so gonna give the vents a nudge. I reckon a couple more hours. 
  • https://imgur.com/gallery/yqHPSux

Pretty chuffed with that. Perhaps could’ve wrapped it earlier to save some juices but overall happy for my first attempt. 
    Used Bar Be Quick briquettes from Morrisons again and half a bag lasted 7 hours without topping up. There’s still a few left that I’ll save for the next cook so don’t think I’ll worry about the more expensive brands - I can’t see me attempting anything longer than 7-8 hours. 
    Also want a meat syringe for next time!