JV squier value?

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2494
Hi,

Can anyone help with the valuation of JV squiers?

There's a 1983 model in a local music shop priced at £900, however it's pretty beaten (in a good way) and I'm not sure it's worth it, I was thinking around £600 maybe.  It plays great and sounds awesome and has left a impression on me - one of the best guitars I've played.  I'd like to have it but I don't want to be paying over the odds either.

Any ideas?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @luscombe was selling some here around £600. He may still have the rosewood board one?

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited December 2013
    It depends on which model you're looking at. The first batch in early 82 were branded "Fender" with Squier in smaller letters. These are the expensive ones and £900 is probably a bargain. Later ones are very much a case of buying on condition. Although in a lot if cases the only difference is the decals on the headstock. I've got a JV Strat from August 82, with the finish stripped off so no idea what it's worth but it plays wonderfully.

See http://www.21frets.com for more than you could possibly want to know.
  • This is relevant, there are a couple of JV squiers near me for sale stupidly cheap...
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    They are fantastic guitars (I have one myself blah blah blah) but £900 is taking the piss.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • matonematone Frets: 216
    I would think it`d have to be `collector condition` to be big money,Fender have made a lot of guitars that
    are as good, since the JV`s were produced.
    In their day they were noteworthy but now many models are as good.
  • Prices all over the shop but they seem to have cooled (like everything else?) of late.

Reckon you could get one around the 400/500 quid mark if you keep your eye on ebay.

Suppose it depends on colour, condition etc. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Lixarto said:
    They are fantastic guitars (I have one myself blah blah blah) but £900 is taking the piss.
    matone said:
    I would think it`d have to be `collector condition` to be big money,Fender have made a lot of guitars that
    are as good, since the JV`s were produced.
    In their day they were noteworthy but now many models are as good.
    Exactly. The current generation of Japanese and Mexican Fenders are as good if not better, and actually say Fender on them.

The last Mexican reissue Tele I played (Esquire actually, but essentially the same) was at least as good as a JV and was going for £400. So I can't really see a Japanese version with the 'wrong' headstock decal being worth much if any more, even if it is 30 years old.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2494
    Thanks guys, this has confirmed what I was thinking.  Don't get me wrong, it's a super guitar and has bags of mojo, but if I can get something just as good or better for less money, then I will.  "£900 is taking the piss"... I'll remember that.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    For £750 you could have the 57 AVRI off Travis which will piss on a JV, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 216
    A very good point !
    matone said:
    A very good point !
    A very good point indeed.  Shame it has a maple fretboard.  Nonetheless, I feel like I've been educated here.
    This is relevant, there are a couple of JV squiers near me for sale stupidly cheap...
    Out of interest, where?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    beed84 said:
    Hi,

There's a 1983 model in a local music shop priced at £900, however it's pretty beaten (in a good way) and I'm not sure it's worth it, I was thinking around £600 maybe.  It plays great and sounds awesome and has left a impression on me - one of the best guitars I've played.  I'd like to have it but I don't want to be paying over the odds either.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    iirc you're not far from me - which shop is it?   

(and I agree - that's a silly price imho)
  • beed84;111982" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

This is relevant, there are a couple of JV squiers near me for sale stupidly cheap...

Out of interest, where?
    I'm now wondering if they are, so I'll check tomorrow and get back.
    John_P said:
    beed84 said:
    Hi,

Any ideas?

Cheers
    iirc you're not far from me - which shop is it?   

(and I agree - that's a silly price imho)
    Well remembered.  I'm in York.  Here's the guitar in question:

• I have owned a 57 JV Squier since new - neck is date stamped October 1982 - its a nice guitar and the neck p/up has mellowed beautifully, but it is just a nice guitar. I paid £450 a year ago for a mid 90s Blade Texas Vintage, which is light years ahead of the Squier. They seemed to have acquired a cult status that does not seem to be justified IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • An 83 so that's one of the later production run, so £900 feels very steep with scratches and dents. Maybe half that for a sensible price?
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    The thing with JV's goes beyond the sum of their parts. They are such an iconic guitar because they made Fender USA take pride in their products and heritage again after the crap they made in the 70's A JV stands up well against any current fender product, and will continue to rise in value because they will never make any more (unlike custom shop 'limited editions', which are released oin a weekly basis).
  • Apparently, later Japanese squiers are pretty good, too, though I've no direct experience of them myself.

They clearly knew how to put a guitar together.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    It is not all snake oil though gents. I have an 83 JV '62 strat and it is every bit as good as many of the £3k Master built guitars I keep trying in local shops. I wouldn't sell mine for £900 but current market value is around £400 - £500 I would guess.