JV squier value?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2494
    I have to admit, that although there is dispute with the value etc I can't get the guitar out of my head and would possibly pay over the odds for it.  I've played it three times since they've had it in the shop and can't get over how good it plays and how amazing it sounds. This is partly down to the tbx circuit and tokai pickups that have been installed. However, I guess in some respects this devalues the guitar.  Still, I if can get it for £600, I'd probably buy it.  I can't imagine they'd half the price.  We'll see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388

beed84 said:
    This is partly down to the tbx circuit and tokai pickups that have been installed.
    The price gets even more laughable. Tokai pickups are no better than the originals and are certainly a devaluation. The TBX is a tone killer.

Beat up, with the wrong pickups, a wiring mod that almost no-one wants, for at least double what you could buy a really good Japanese or Mexican Fender for and more even than you could find an American vintage reissue for if you look about…

Don't rip yourself off or feed the hype. I would bet that it's not actually any better than any of those other choices, it's just set up nicely. They just aren't special enough in any other way to explain it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Don't rip yourself off or feed the hype. I would bet that it's not actually any better than any of those other choices, it's just set up nicely. They just aren't special enough in any other way to explain it.
    Hmmm, more sensible words.  Thanks for this.  I suppose I best reconsider before I rush into anything silly.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    beed84 said:
    ICBM said:
    Hmmm, more sensible words.  Thanks for this.  I suppose I best reconsider before I rush into anything silly.
    With non original pickups and wiring, it's even more of a silly price.   If you really want one and don't mind paying a fair or highish price then wait for something original to come along.

There was an SQ series strat FS on here recently at t fraction of the price that looked really nice.
    John_P said:
    With non original pickups and wiring, it's even more of a silly price.   If you really want one and don't mind paying a fair or highish price then wait for something original to come along.

There was an SQ series strat FS on here recently at t fraction of the price that looked really nice.
    After what has been said, I feel like I'm gonna wait now and see what else is about.  My budget is around £600-700 so if I can get something better and original without being robbed, then I might as well.
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    beed84 said:
    I have to admit, that although there is dispute with the value etc I can't get the guitar out of my head and would possibly pay over the odds for it.  I've played it three times since they've had it in the shop and can't get over how good it plays and how amazing it sounds. This is partly down to the tbx circuit and tokai pickups that have been installed. However, I guess in some respects this devalues the guitar.  Still, I if can get it for £600, I'd probably buy it.  I can't imagine they'd half the price.  We'll see.
    You's be better off witrh my copletely original '82 JV for £600. It has the slab board rosewood neck (that you say you prefer), and has the original pickups (USA pickups remember) and wiring.
    luscombe said:
    You's be better off witrh my copletely original '82 JV for £600. It has the slab board rosewood neck (that you say you prefer), and has the original pickups (USA pickups remember) and wiring.
    Thinking about it, I just might.  Where are you based?
  • photek said:
    It is not all snake oil though gents. I have an 83 JV '62 strat and it is every bit as good as many of the £3k Master built guitars I keep trying in local shops. I wouldn't sell mine for £900 but current market value is around £400 - £500 I would guess.
    It's your guitar and I've never played it. But I've owned a couple of these and played a few more and IMHO none of them were any better than a mid 80s-90s Jap reissue, and certainly not as good as later Fender Custom shop guitars. I agree with the overhyped comments above, they were nice guitars at the time compared with some of the poor American output, but I think standards and manufacturing have come on a lot in the guitar market since then.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    beed84 said:
    luscombe said:
    Thinking about it, I just might.  Where are you based?

edited December 2013
    I'm in central england on the Staffordshire/Shropshire border.
  • photek said:
    It is not all snake oil though gents. I have an 83 JV '62 strat and it is every bit as good as many of the £3k Master built guitars I keep trying in local shops. I wouldn't sell mine for £900 but current market value is around £400 - £500 I would guess.
    It's your guitar and I've never played it. But I've owned a couple of these and played a few more and IMHO none of them were any better than a mid 80s-90s Jap reissue, and certainly not as good as later Fender Custom shop guitars. I agree with the overhyped comments above, they were nice guitars at the time compared with some of the poor American output, but I think standards and manufacturing have come on a lot in the guitar market since then.
    I agree. I have 4 strats (5 if you include PRS Swamp Ash Spec which is very Fendery) and I put my JV Squier at the bottom of the list. It is nowhere near the build quality of either of my Blades or my Grosh Retro Classic. It has its own vibe, but I would expect anything from the Fender Custom shop to be a couple of leagues above it
    So confused right now.  There appears to be no general consensus that all JVs are great, and there is more of a leaning towards that a lot of JVs appreciation is hyperbole.  After mulling over all the comments, I'm starting to think I should get an actual Jap/USA Fender.  I have the money after all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    My opinion is that - unless modded, and assuming well-set-up - most or perhaps all JVs (certainly all the ones I've played) are good to very good. They're well-made and consistent. I've never played a less than good one, and never played a truly great one. They're an extremely similar quality to a Fender Japan reissue (think about why that should be so!) and similar or possibly slightly below a Mexican Classic series. And they have a quite cool but still undeniably 'wrong' name on them, one which is now associated with cheaper ranges.

Yes, they're 30 years old now and that does add a bit of 'mojo' - but also some potential problems. One thing that I forgot to mention earlier is that the frets are also rather soft, and it's common to find deep grooves or heavily-dressed frets with little height left even on guitars which don't look like they've been played that heavily. (I've got one here just now, although admittedly a bit 'more played'.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom