Anyone played a Godin Radiator ?

What's Hot
BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
edited December 2013 in Guitar

I've been offered one for silly money (£100), however, its no use to me if it wont get played.

Edit : Body was split down the middle,so walked away.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I think @DiscoStu had one and I must admit I've long lusted after one meself. Only ever played one for five minutes but was really impressed. Not sure what they generally go for but that sounds cheap - if you don't like it - dibs :)

• JookyChap said:
    I think @DiscoStu had one and I must admit I've long lusted after one meself. Only ever played one for five minutes but was really impressed. Not sure what they generally go for but that sounds cheap - if you don't like it - dibs :)
    Richards Guitars sell them for £549, so even taking into account their massive depreciation, sub £150 is a bargain.  If I get the chance I'll take a look tomorrow, if its not for me I buy it and sort a way out of getting it to you later on.

Sounds cool to me... :)

There goes the new year resolution (maybe) ;)

• They're fantastic! One of those guitars that make you smile. I've long lusted... Dibs after jooky if you wanna part ex for a bass ;)
  • JookyChap said:

They other one is dragging its heels, the tracking reads like the hokey cokey lol

• JookyChap;111729" said:

if its cool surely that's a broken radiator... %-(

I think they look good and £100 is certainly a bargain price. Some of the colours might be an acquired taste though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Form a queue   lol

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74389
    For £100 I'd still buy it and I don't really like them all that much. They're *nearly* characterful and cool, but somehow just a little bit bland and generic at the same time… if that makes sense!

The two main faults they have are lack of a pickup selector switch (although you could always rewire it), and on the earliest ones the bridge is mounted on top of the scratchplate not through it, so in order to get at the electrics you have to take the whole guitar apart.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

JookyChap said:

They other one is dragging its heels, the tracking reads like the hokey cokey lol
    It does, doesn't it? I looked this morning.. Think I live in a black hole though, meant to have a dozen things delivered on Friday and none of them made it... Reckon our posty is have a fine Xmas mind :)

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5727
    Hi! 
    Suddenly I'm useful for something haha!

Radiators are cool as fuck, but it depends what colour it is. Mine is pace car blue and is gorgeous. I've toyed with selling it on many occasions, but never gone through with it.

What colour is the one you've been offered? Rosewood or maple fretboard?

Godin make fantastic necks. For me, the nicest I've played. They just 'fit', you know? The Radiator pickups have loads of bite and twang, somewhere between Tele and Ricky. The body is partly chambered which adds to the resonance.

As ICBM mentioned, there are only two things to consider. One is the lack of pickup selector switch. There are two volumes and one tone pot, and you use the volumes to blend pickups in or out rather than use a switch. I've never had a problem with this.
    Secondly, should you wish to get under the scratchplate, earlier models are more fiddly as the bridge is fixed on top of it rather than recessed in to it like mine is. ICBM brought this to my attention.

But come on, we're nitpicking here! It's an awesome guitar and you're getting it for a ton! They regularly go for around £200 on eBay. You'd be dick to say no!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    I say buy it. 

I like them a lot. 

Nice slimish to medium necks, chimey clean sounds and good for indie with a bit of dirt, nice and light as well. 

£100 you can't go wrong.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited December 2013
    I was always rather intrigued by these too. Certainly quite an unusual guitar!

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    Bloody cool guitars for sure. Regret selling mine ages ago.

Howard from this forum bought mine and uses it for slide.

The lack of pickup selector soon becomes no issue :)

Great sort of semi ish tele type tones. Great for back keys type stuff.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    edited December 2013
    If I can just chip in, I bought a Godin Radiator from @blueskunk which, as he says, I now use for slide. Personally I quite like the dual volumes as it lets you get a decent blend for the tone you want. That picture above actually has much more wood in it than mine. It's routed all the way around and then covered up with the scratchplate.

I would say that the pickups are a little weedy, but then everything else I play has humbuckers or P90s, so maybe that's just my comparing them. The neck pickup is lovely and very fluid; you can get some beautiful Hendrixy tones from it. The bridge is a little shrill for me but it's easy just to roll the volume off a little. The guitar LOVES fuzz, but I think fuzz does more for single coils than it does for humbuckers anyway.

The sound isn't great as it was recorded on a phone but I have a video of me playing it (solo starts at about 2:00). I wasn't really expecting to play slide on this song so the playing's a little ropey, but you can hear the difference between the sounds as I rolled the neck pickup right off for the second progression.

• BasherBasher Frets: 1243
    I think they look fantastic!
    For £100 you should rip their arm off.
    @vasselmeyer - I wish I sounded that "ropey"! Great sounds and great playing.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I think they look well cool.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5727
    EdGrip said:
    I was always rather intrigued by these too. Certainly quite an unusual guitar!

Oi! That's my photo! That's my spare room and the donor Radiator which became my Mirrortop guitar.
    Google image search I take it??