How much is my mates Fender Fotoflame worth?

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 961
Hey guys

I know they're Japanese and have become quite collectable in some circles, but he's not sure what it's worth if he sells it

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ParkerParker Frets: 961
    Bump
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Since it's not yours personally, I hope you won't mind if I say this…

It's worth less than a standard Fender Japan guitar of the same age because they look cheap and fake, and no-one really wants them. I've never played one I thought was any good either, the wood they used for the treatment seems completely toneless, and they fitted them with poor quality pickups.

If he wants to sell it but doesn't know how much it's worth, stick it on Ebay with a 99p start and no reserve, and he'll know the value of it in a week. I would do it pretty soon though, before everyone works out they'll be skint by the end of January.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Agree with ICBM.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147

ICBM said:
    Since it's not yours personally, I hope you won't mind if I say this…

It's worth less than a standard Fender Japan guitar of the same age because they look cheap and fake, and no-one really wants them. I've never played one I thought was any good either, the wood they used for the treatment seems completely toneless, and they fitted them with poor quality pickups.

If he wants to sell it but doesn't know how much it's worth, stick it on Ebay with a 99p start and no reserve, and he'll know the value of it in a week. I would do it pretty soon though, before everyone works out they'll be skint by the end of January.
    I tried one at a local guitar shop that had one and it was incredibly heavy... uncomfortably so for a strat.  No idea what wood it was, but it was so uncomfortable I didn't even plug it in.

I suppose however that results may vary...
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Yup. Total agreement here.
    Back when they were new I sold them in the shop I worked in and out of a batch of 20 or so, there wasn't a single one I could say was properly 'good'. Don't get me wrong, they aren't awful but modern Mexican Strats will eat em for breakfast.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• matonematone Frets: 216
    Seem to recall them in shops nos long after they were manufactured.