What's happened to RedPlate amps in terms of buzz

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
a while back, there was a real buzz around red plate amps, I tried a few liked them, wasn't blown away, but certainly great amps, I know other people really loved them. A few UK dealers really pushed that they had them, saw lots of people looking where to get them and looking for used ones in the classifieds, now it's pretty much gone, no-one mentions them, dealers don't mention that they have them / can get them, no-one seems to have them in stock.

What's happened to them ?
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    The TGP hype machine dropped way off, they're a fickle bunch. A similar situation as Two Rock I suppose. As far as I know, Coda music are the only UK dealer to ever carry Redplate. They still have small selection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Wonderful amps when they are 'right'.

I've owned 3 or 4 I think, and had problems with a couple of em. But they are an incredible sounding amp,
    and have that wonderful 'bloom' feel to them.

Styling is a bit of an issue for some people.

I would own another, given the right circumstances...

Still one of the best sounds Ive personally had live was with a Blackverb...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I think the previous posters have it down - they are visually / aesthetically a bit lacking, and the TGP hype machine has moved on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2092
    I think I tried one in Coda that was purportedly an SLO type amp. I didn't like it.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Redplate "emerged" from the Dumble cloning scene after Two Rock, Fuchs and Carol Anne.

I guess that their product range has broadened out a bit, moving away from the "restrictive" Dumble designs but as others have said, the TGP hype machine moved elsewhere before they managed to establish themselves on a global basis.
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    I have an Aurora 34 head, which is a Dumble meets Marshall hybrid running EL34's in the power section. Excellent cleans, and 2 OD channels that are infinately tweakable. Overall, a brilliant amp

It's a small, family run operation running flat out servicing the US market as I understand it, so there is little marketing or updated model availability in Europe. By the time they get here, margins and FX conversion makes them "expensive" relative to other brands, which doesn't help 

Their 2016 new line looks very interesting though! If you get the chance, seriously worth checking out
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    FWIW, I still have my Redplate Blackverb and will happily keep it forever its a might fine amp, better built than any TR I've had a look inside at. I know Warren had problems with brand new Redplates from Coda, and that was at the time that production was increasing very rapidly. I believe (though i dont know) things are steadier now and QC is better.

Part of the problem was the plethora of amp models and my experience initially put me off buying. I went to Coda to try a few amps and the Redplate Astrodust was my favourite, though others were very good, the TR's were very flat in comparison. So about a month or so later I went with a mate (and my wife in tow wanting to have a look round Stevenage) to get said amp.

Got there and plugged in to what I thought was the same amp and it sounded  quite different, Coda said they'd sold the original one, this was new in. Checking it out the new one had 6L6's in, the original had EL34's. I didn't feel happy about shelling £2.5k on an amp I was now a bit undecided about so I left it.

Was down in London a while later to attend  A Matt Schofield masterclass w/e and called in Charlie Chandlers to try out a Blackverb combo they had in stock. Sounded great so I bought it and thats the one I still have.

I beleive Henry is far too accommodating, he can't help himself. Amps get minor mods, tweaks, different output valves etc etc and this gives a confusing message to the general buying public. Then there was the Chuck D'Aloia fallout that resulted in a number of amps being dropped from the range. And loads of new amps all the while doens;t help create a stable range of products and people lose interest, I guess. I know I cant keep up with whats available.

One thing I am sure of Henry needs a basic core range of amps that change very little year on year, he needs to take a lesson from Carr in terms of product longevity. It is true some of the clean tones out of some of the amps in the range are really really good, but with often very similar names how can a customer know whats what?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    "Henry and Chuck D'Aloia fallout" ? blimey didnt think chuck could fallout with anyone such a nice bloke , any link to why ?  i though he always sounded better through his brown note D'lite anyway  ;)
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited May 2016
    Not sure what happened but all of a sudden the 'CD' range of amps got pulled and Chuck was nowhere to be seen around RP.

Incidentally I've got Chuck's video tutorials, very very good indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    I like Hywelgs Redplate more than any other of his amps, and pretty much more than any other amp Ive tried next to it (at Notts Amp Fests).  The only amp that has come close for me is the Maz 18 - but thats a different beast.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Iv been using my redplate CDS2 quite a lot lately and getting some great sounds ...got a G system doing all the switching and FX...really pleased with mine :)
  • westwest Frets: 996
    hywelg said:
    Not sure what happened but all of a sudden the 'CD' range of amps got pulled and Chuck was nowhere to be seen around RP.

Incidentally I've got Chuck's video tutorials, very very good indeed.
    mmm interesting , yes i got chucks tuition stuff too , very comprehensive !
    edited May 2016
    hywelg said:
    FWIW, I still have my Redplate Blackverb and will happily keep it forever its a might fine amp, better built than any TR I've had a look inside at. I know Warren had problems with brand new Redplates from Coda, and that was at the time that production was increasing very rapidly. I believe (though i dont know) things are steadier now and QC is better.

Part of the problem was the plethora of amp models and my experience initially put me off buying. I went to Coda to try a few amps and the Redplate Astrodust was my favourite, though others were very good, the TR's were very flat in comparison. So about a month or so later I went with a mate (and my wife in tow wanting to have a look round Stevenage) to get said amp.

Got there and plugged in to what I thought was the same amp and it sounded  quite different, Coda said they'd sold the original one, this was new in. Checking it out the new one had 6L6's in, the original had EL34's. I didn't feel happy about shelling £2.5k on an amp I was now a bit undecided about so I left it.

Was down in London a while later to attend  A Matt Schofield masterclass w/e and called in Charlie Chandlers to try out a Blackverb combo they had in stock. Sounded great so I bought it and thats the one I still have.

I beleive Henry is far too accommodating, he can't help himself. Amps get minor mods, tweaks, different output valves etc etc and this gives a confusing message to the general buying public. Then there was the Chuck D'Aloia fallout that resulted in a number of amps being dropped from the range. And loads of new amps all the while doens;t help create a stable range of products and people lose interest, I guess. I know I cant keep up with whats available.

One thing I am sure of Henry needs a basic core range of amps that change very little year on year, he needs to take a lesson from Carr in terms of product longevity. It is true some of the clean tones out of some of the amps in the range are really really good, but with often very similar names how can a customer know whats what?
    Wisdom awarded, great post and absolutely bang on.

I have said previously that some of the best sounds I've ever had live was thru a Redplate. 
    I was only speaking to Doug at Coda about this today...

And true enough, I have the Chuck videos and they are great.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Chalk me up for Chucks' tuition vids....very good. Even I can understand what he's talking about.

@hywelg, spot on mate.  I had a CDS2 which on reflection I really should have hung on to.  You're right about Henry being a bit too accommodating modding his own amps. 
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • NeckwringerNeckwringer Frets: 357
    Gotta love the tone Allen Hinds gets from the two RPamps he uses live.............
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 505
    Well, despite the occasional urge for something different, I keep coming back to my redplate cos it's very flexible across the tweed->bf spectrum, sounds brilliant and is so compact and relatively light. Henry responds to all my dopey questions immediately. Still seem to be a popular choice in the states ..
    edited December 2016
    Well, Ive come full circle amazingly. 

I had a tough time with a couple of CDS2s, completely due to the low master mod that Keith (?) had done on a small batch of the smaller RPs... Nonetheless, Doug at Coda sorted me out superbly and cemented a good friendship with him and Coda (still my fave dealer).

However, the RP sound haunted me, and Ive recently scored a rare RP50R custom head. This is due to land, if Parcelforce get their finger out...

It was the Blackverb that stole my heart. Awesome sound. @hywelg has his beloved one for sale, at the time of writing.

The Redplates with the bigger iron sound much better though imho. Dont get me wrong, the CDS2s and equivalent (see Tweedyverb now at Coda) are stunning amps. But bigger iron seems to equal better sound and feel in my experience.

So, the Blackverb, Blues Machine, RP50, CDS3 etc are the 'bigger' models which sound mind blowing. There are 2, incredibly, in the forum right now and someone should buy one of these quickly !!

It will be interesting to see if the Fractal FX8 can control,the Redplates superb blackface/tweed/mid/drive/boost options...

also, just need to get a matching cab !

The new head is shown below, and under that, a CDS2 memory lane photo....

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/IMG_0012_1.jpg

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Redplate CDS2/file-5.jpg

• DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    They're great amps but as has been previously said said Henry has a habit of refreshing the range rather too often. No sooner than we'd taken delivery of some amps than they were no longer listed on his site. We're always open to doing them again but the exchange rate it brutal at the moment...
  • Would really love a Allen Hinds signature RP........now that does sounds blooming good.........