what genre is a guitar ?

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4243
edited December 2013 in Guitar

we all hear that a tele is a country guitar, a les paul is a rock guitar etc etc

but post a YT to show a guitar out of its normal setting .

for Example

Gibson SG http://youtu.be/aQ8IY80pp28

Gibson LP Special http://youtu.be/uzhLojTaX9w

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This one is a pearler.

Love how the Guitarist adores the Camera. Beautiful song too. Who's he think he is, Albert King?  :-D

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74389
    White Falcon

ES-295

And an old classic…

Rickenbacker

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Great vids, how can you play anything but That's all right mama on an ES295 ;)
    Great vids, how can you play anything but That's all right mama on an ES295 ;)
    I really want a 295. I stupidly passed on both an original '54 and a 90s reissue at different times, before they got really expensive. The old one was a bit tatty but still magical; the reissue wasn't as characterful but it was dirt cheap compared to what they are now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Same here, never tried one of the old ones though, never even seen one in the flesh.

Keep the YT coming, thought it might be an interesting topic.

• rprrpr Frets: 316
    Gibson Byrdland (IIRC) and the Nuge
  • rpr said:
    Gibson Byrdland (IIRC) and the Nuge

forgot this,   so spinal tap or what. %-(
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2013
    Les Pauls in the Desert.

• rprrpr Frets: 316
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    When I was 19 I used to play with Alexis Korner a fair bit, and although I used a battered 63 Strat at the time he used to smilingly take it out of my hands and hand me his 295 to play, saying "this is more YOU, man!"

He was actually right, just a little premature, I really didn't grow into appreciating that style of guitar until I was a lot older, and Alexi was long gone.

It was a gift from someone, but he was always too modest to say who, though I have my suspicions.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    I've always suspected that, up to a point, guitars are only genre-specific because of the players that they become associated with. For example Strats in the early days were played by artists like Buddy Holly - it only became a guitar hero instrument after Hendrix picked one up. Also, one tends to think of Teles as country guitars but my understanding is that a lot of early Led Zep stuff was recorded using a Tele.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    HAL9000 said:
    I've always suspected that, up to a point, guitars are only genre-specific because of the players that they become associated with. 
    yep  Id agree with that........ 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    HAL9000 said:
    I've always suspected that, up to a point, guitars are only genre-specific because of the players that they become associated with. For example Strats in the early days were played by artists like Buddy Holly - it only became a guitar hero instrument after Hendrix picked one up. Also, one tends to think of Teles as country guitars but my understanding is that a lot of early Led Zep stuff was recorded using a Tele.
    That, and the way they look.

Apart from some small problems with some kinds of guitar for very heavy styles - feedback from hollowbodies and hum from single coil pickups, and lack of tuning stability of some of the more wonky vintage trem systems (NOT Bigsbys though! Or Jaguar/Jazzmaster trems) for styles that need extensive trem use, you can use any kind of guitar for any style of music.

The bigger problem is that something like a Super 400 looks wrong for punk and a JEM looks wrong for blues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited December 2013
    Here's a hilarious video by Red Fang (well, I thought it was anyway). The guitar in question is a humble Telecaster in a metal setting. Watch the video. It really is quite good you like breaking stuff.....

• carloscarlos Frets: 3664
    Joe Pass on his Jaguar. Not his main guitar, but one he played when he was coming out of rehab (the Jaguar was the only guitar to practice there I believe). Still sounds like him, still sounds like jazz.
  • Saw a metal band called... Er... Maybe the safety fire? Or it might have been their support.

Anyway, one of the guitarists was using a blonde tele and it looked to have stock pickups. Sounded heavy as fucking balls though.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    The brilliant Ed Bickert.
    Sublime jazz on a battered Telecaster.. gives the term 'road-worn' a completely different perspective.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • That Ed Bickert tone is classic jazz, more proof that it's all in the hands.