New maple tele nitro neck far too yellow/orange

Fortunately it is nitro.  Any suggestions on lightening it up ? It is spanking new as well so any treatments which may impart a little wear just the thing.  However, I'm not a great fan of relicking per se, so let's keep it subtle.
"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strip it and refinish is probably the only way unfortunately.
  • Is it asian a lot of these seem to tone down over the first year mine was seriously amber but has faded and lightened. 

Working it down to a satin finish with 0000 wire wool will also soften it a little and make it feel a bit more played in. 

regards jez

• Unlikely to strip and refinish - easier to buy another neck and I remain in the market for any which are available from this Forum (indeed I have a very nice rw board tele neck to trade also if anyone is interested).

Jez's idea seems a bit more hopeful, although it was my understanding that exposure to light tends to darken nitro rather than the opposite.
  • Jez's idea seems a bit more hopeful, although it was my understanding that exposure to light tends to darken nitro rather than the opposite.
    It depends on (i) how light fast the amber dye is and (ii) how much UV inhibitor is in the lacquer. 

Depends what they used but modern dyes are light fast as are modern lacquers.
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited February 2014
    No sense in asking for advice and then not taking it so I think I'll wire wool it and leave it for a while to see what it happens, but I am also open to offers/trades c£125 delivered. Will stick a pic up asap.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Have to agree with @GuitarMonkey I'm afraid. A new neck is likely to have the colour you see right down to the grain so anything you do on the surface would most likely be futile.
    I'd trade/sell if you're not happy.
    edited February 2014
    It is, end of, a matter of both preference and colour coordination. It would look amazing in a brighter coloured guitar (eg surf green, red or even butterscotch) but I need one for a Mary Kaye blonde body. It is if anything a bit brighter than in this pic (others included to compare and contrast).

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 380
    Any tips for making a light coloured neck more yellow/orange?

I love the neck but I'd love it even more if it were a little more vintagey :)

It's nitro.

Sorry @Fusionista I probably wouldn't have asked had I not seen your thread.

edited February 2014
    Know what you mean, you want something darker/browner ? You could try Andy at www.wudtone.com ?

• Or do you want to trade ?
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 380
    That's exactly the colour I was hoping for.

I'm not looking to trade - mine is exactly how I want it, other than the colour. Like I said, I wouldn't have asked if it weren't for this thread. Woodtone is an option, but I'm pretty sure that would mean stripping it. I'm sure it'll darken with time :)

If you can't live with yours, I'd say sell it. I can't imagine going over it with wire wool would tone it down too much. Or you could strip & refinish it..

• £125 delivered. C profile, 9.5" radius, 21 medium jumbo frets, headstock truss rod adjustment.
  • £125 delivered. C profile, 9.5" radius, 21 medium jumbo frets, headstock truss rod adjustment.
    Really? Looks completely plugged on that photo - trick of the light!

Who made it?

Here's a really orange neck I just stripped, came off like shredded carrot.

• You know what - it is plugged! Got confused with the others.
  • Hehe, just bought another tele neck and it's perfect!  Means I can afford to take a risk with the orange one now.  It's nitro, so my options are to sand it back in relic fashion, or strip it entirely and Wudtone.  

What d'y'all think ?

@streethawk how did you strip yours ?
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    edited February 2014
    Nitro will simply wash off with paint thinner. Use a dampened cloth, take your time and it'll be bare wood before you know it.
  • Not sure I want it bare wood, faded and worn will do ;)
  • Not sure I want it bare wood, faded and worn will do ;)
    Sell it, save up, buy an MJT one.

Seriously. 
    edited February 2014
    Not after a relicked look (God forbid), just a toned-down vintagey 'orange' to match the proposed body.  And while I do not think of myself as particularly skilled or handy, I think I can do a passable job at sanding ;) 

That said, if I eff it up, I can always strip to bare wood and Wudtone...
  • Not after a relicked look (God forbid), just a toned-down vintagey 'orange' to match the proposed body.  And while I do not think of myself as particularly skilled or handy, I think I can do a passable job at sanding ;) 

That said, if I eff it up, I can always strip to bare wood and Wudtone...
    I don't think sanding will get you anywhere.

So you'll have to strip it.

After that you'll have a bit of trouble dyeing the thing, especially with the frets on.

That leaves you with a nitro respray in a vintage tint. You can use rattle cans from Manchester Guitar tech etc, that would likely be the cheapest, least fuss option. Research first and test on scrap!

Maybe buy a junk maple neck and experiment?