Convince me not to spend my money. Help!!

What's Hot
So I have been saving up for a while in an effort to get a new amp and I want to get a Marshall SL-5C and a new guitar a fender fsr paisley black.

Both these will blow my budget and I technically don't need either. I just want them. I have always wanted an AFD but can't ever afford them so the SL-5 is the next best thing but it seems overpriced for what you get.

I have always wanted a paisley tele and I love the look of the reissued black ones from fender. Do I need one? Nope.

My dilemma is that I just treat myself and buy them or I pocket the money and get something else. I have got myself to a point where I can't get one without the other despite there being no connection (other than an electric guitar and an amp) and is really want the amp so I am going to have to order he guitar. I am stuck in a loop.

What say you more learned people?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited December 2013
    SPEND SPEND SPEND!

(I really hope that helps.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    edited December 2013
    Wait a while to see if there are any sales.  You might get lucky.  That probably doesn't help as basically Im saying, 
    SPEND THE F***KING MUNEY.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28412
    You might just be in the wrong place for that sort of advice ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Help the economy and be happy. (And no bloody thomann).
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    buy used
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    I wouldn't buy an SL-5. You can buy much better Marshalls for much less than that, especially used. For example you'll get a DSL201 even including a (necessary) speaker upgrade for about half what the SL-5 costs new. There are plenty of other 5-20W range amps which cost far less than the SL-5 and probably sound better, too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I wouldn't buy an SL-5. You can buy much better Marshalls for much less than that, especially used. For example you'll get a DSL201 even including a (necessary) speaker upgrade for about half what the SL-5 costs new. There are plenty of other 5-20W range amps which cost far less than the SL-5 and probably sound better, too.
    Nooooooooooooooooooo that's too sensible, let him spend the fricking WONGA !  Buy stuff, any stuff........don't listen to reason, listen to the man on your shoulder.......with the fork in his hand......

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Unless there's something more important you could be spending your money on (e.g. a leaky roof or car repairs) why not get them? If they're what you really want then it's odds on that you're going to want to play them a lot, and the more you play the better you'll get. Sounds like a pretty virtuous circle to me. 

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Get it fucking spent.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    sounds to me like you wasting that precious budget on the gear you stated...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Nooooooooooooooooooo that's too sensible, let him spend the fricking WONGA !  Buy stuff, any stuff........don't listen to reason, listen to the man on your shoulder.......with the fork in his hand...…
    I didn't say *don't spend the money*, I said *I wouldn't buy an SL-5*… different :).

By a curious coincidence I have an amp for sale for not very much more than the price of an SL-5 too ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    When has NEED ever come into it???
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Don't get the slash amp! Overpriced and, having tested one, I can attest that it still has nasty upper mids like the class 5. Not a great sound, in my opinion.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    I had a £500 stash recently and bought a Tokai Strat, Jim Harley Rick 330 copy and a Yamaha THR. I didn't need any of em either but it's bloody fun owning it all. Spend, spend, spend my dear!
  • I have not purchased anything yet. As nothing will be delivered anytime soon I am hoping stuff gets reduced on boxing day. 

Still want the SL5 - Slash is the reason I wanted to play guitar and I can never afford an AFD amp so this seems like the best other option. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    If you spend money I'll come over and bum your mum.

Did that work?
  • the SL5 is £589 new, you can get an AFD head for £800... for the sake of £120 i'd hang fire and get what you really want

You're probably not far off being able to get a Jubilee (or a JCM Custom 'black Jubilee', which are cheaper usually) 1x12" combo for that either.

• ICBM;113104" said:
    You're probably not far off being able to get a Jubilee (or a JCM Custom 'black Jubilee', which are cheaper usually) 1x12" combo for that either.
    There just doesn't seem to be any around for sale right now.

How much you selling your amp for?
    £600 as is with tired valves - but I was kidding really, it's not the amp you want. Just pointing out that you can buy a top quality 100W 2x12" channel switching amp secondhand for little more than the cost of an overpriced 5W 1x12" with the build quality of a Valvestate and someone's famous name on it...