Straps: Padded or Not?

Just what is says really. I've used a regular non padded strap for years. I'm gonna get a couple of DSL Leather Straps, but am chin stroking over the aforementioned choices.

I don't mind spending a bit more on a Padded Strap, but what are your experiences with comfort, are there any annoying side effects with padded ones, like lack of manoeoeueuoeuoevrability or sticking to clothes etc.

I tried to find a strap thread on the search facility and delved a few pages back, but had no luck. Soz.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    I prefer 2.5" unpadded leather straps.
    Heavy padding feels wrong on my shoulder- probably just what I am used to.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    edited December 2013
    I don't mind a thick padded strap with acoustics because it helps keep them in place. For solid body electrics regular nylon Ernie Balls are my favourite, and I have an extra wide Levys nylon on my Les Paul to distribute the weight a bit better.

I use nylon straps with electrics precisely to avoid the guitars sticking to my tshirt when I get sweaty. Most of my guitars are fairly hefty and all of them balance very well already so extra grip is unnecessary for my instruments. They're cheaper too which is always a bonus! If I stood pretty still I'd probably use padded straps on electric but I tend to be quite active so nylon is my favourite.

If you're buying leather be aware a suede finish will have lots of grip - either a pro or a con depending on your preferences.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    never play standing with acoustics........ I have padded for the mahogany guitars,  and unpadded for the tele and strat
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74389
    I use the padded/rolled-edge Levy's ones.

Very comfortable, and no annoying side effects I can think of except that the rolled edge split on one of them and unravelled the stitching. To be fair it had had a lot of use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ta fellas, I went for the non padded DSL's in the end.

Only a Fool Would Say That.