Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    Utterly brilliant. Just shows what happens when you're not scared to lose. A pleasure to watch in all respects.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolutely fantastic Wales. I'm still chuckling to condescending comments made by TV pundits who suggested that England would breeze through the competition. Not quoted ad verbatim but something on the lines of......................Wouldn't it be great to see Wales get through from the group stages with England.........and (when it became apparent that England would play Iceland and not France), well, that's a bit of a result/bonus!  The pundits always seem to talk a better game than the England team can actually play!!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I've only just woken up

Too hungover to move

I would do it all again. Honestly, I cried when the third goal went in. Not even sorry

Semi fucking finals!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    joeyowen;1135888" said:
    I've only just woken up

Too hungover to move

I would do it all again. Honestly, I cried when the third goal went in. Not even sorry

Semi fucking finals!!!

Football!!! :-)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Didn't see all of Germany vs Italy but seemed not the best but that penalty shoot out, bloody hell. :-O Few very badly taken , just tiredness and pressure I guess.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Germans win penalty shootout.....who'd have thought it!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    That was awesome.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    Thought the Italians were brilliant - they just missed out in the pens. Sad to see them go out.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Some of those pens were awful - I've never seen the point in trying to stutter or dummy a penalty. Half the time you end up selling yourself the dummy...
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I missed the game. Went to see Independence Day instead, and got back just in time for the penalties.
    My god some over them were funny.
    Especially the one where the guy pointed to the goalie where he was going to put it.. and then pea-rolled it wide..
    I've seen U14's take better shots that then.. laughed me tits off I did.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    Clarky;1136393" said:
    I missed the game. Went to see Independence Day instead, and got back just in time for the penalties.My god some over them were funny.Especially the one where the guy pointed to the goalie where he was going to put it.. and then pea-rolled it wide..I've seen U14's take better shots that then.. laughed me tits off I did.. lol..
    Still better than this fucking disaster of a movie though...
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Worst penalty shoot out I've ever seen

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

lloyd;1136407" said:
    Worst penalty shoot out I've ever seen
    Quite possibly. I was half drunk when I've watched it - just after my gf's MMA fight so could barely concentrate. What I remember the most though is the hotel lobby full of mid-aged Dutch cheering for Italy like nothing else. :-)

PS - Independence Day I've seen sober though and it's terrible stuff.
    Clarky;1136393" said:
    I missed the game. Went to see Independence Day instead, and got back just in time for the penalties.My god some over them were funny.Especially the one where the guy pointed to the goalie where he was going to put it.. and then pea-rolled it wide..I've seen U14's take better shots that then.. laughed me tits off I did.. lol..
    Still better than this fucking disaster of a movie though…
    I didn't think it was a disaster, but it certainly wasn't quite as good as I hoped it'd be.
    It all felt a bit rushed, like they were trying to cram too much in.
    I think Italy vs Germany was always at risk of being an overly cautious match and quite a lot of it turned out to be that way (although Germany could have won 1-0 with more cautious defending). Tonight's match seems less predictable.
    edited July 2016
    I think Italy vs Germany was always at risk of being an overly cautious match and quite a lot of it turned out to be that way (although Germany could have won 1-0 with more cautious defending). Tonight's match seems less predictable.
    I dunno… Iceland will defend like Trojans, not have much possession but cope with that very well, and on the odd occasion when they can attack they'll make the most of it.

I think the unpredictable team is Portugal. They can be utterly crap for long periods but have a couple of outstanding players that can change a game in a heartbeat.

And just like Wales, this Iceland squad has something special going on.
    their pride, the way they work for each other and just don't give in
    and for this reason I wish Iceland all the very best of luck because they absolutely deserve it..

what is mental is that most of them are only semi-pro
    Oh, Portugal v Wales is really unpredictable, just depends which Portugal turns up - I could certainly see Wales getting through. Yes, tonight's will be about French possession. If France get an early goal they'll just keep the ball, even without a goal they might be happy to take things all the way to penalties. But if Iceland can throw in a few curve balls(literally and or figuratively) we might have a fight on.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    Clarky said:

what is mental is that mont of them are only semi-pro
    I don't think thats true. If you look through the squadlist most (I think its all, but I can't be bothered verifying every one) of them play their football at full-time teams across Europe. Cardiff, Charlton, Udinese, Swansea, Kaiserslauten, Goteborg, Augsburg, Nantes...

I'm torn for tonights game. Always like the hosts to do well but Iceland have been a phenomenon and I'd love to see them go further. 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Indeed, Iceland's club teams are semi-pro, but none of this squad play in Iceland.

They have a fantastic team spirit and are clearly very well drilled; the team have an obvious identity and look know what they should be doing.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Any money on Wales v Iceland for the final?  :D