Is Gilmour Slightly Losing it Slightly

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
edited August 2013 in Music

First up, Ol' DG was the reason i picked up the guitar how ever many years ago it was now, and since then i admit i have put him on a pedestal above pretty much all other guitarists.

When I finally got to see him live in 2006 at the RAH, it was like a religeous experience for me, and i actually cried like a girl when the first chords of "Breathe" rang out, but i came away thinking not only "that was the best gig ive ever seen" but also that i was glad that i had heard a few bum notes, as it showed that even god-like status players can have an off moment.

Up until that point my only floyd live experience had been the mighty Delicate sound of thunder CD and then Pulse, all of which i am relialbly informed were recorded off the desk with NO touch up afterwards (i.e overdubbing solos and fuck ups etc)

Forward wind to 2011 at the Roger Waters Wall Tribute shows, imagine my delight when i had heard that DG had joined for Comfortably Numb. Imagine my pain when i heard this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUYzQaCCt2o

Its dire, to the point that with a following breeze and on a good day, i could have kicked his arse.

I saw him guest with someone else on a german TV show a few weeks ago, and that was crap too. I have this feeling that his heart just isnt in it any more. compare the above with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ges_1E6OocE

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    That's horrific and very sad actually. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    It sounds to me like he's deliberately trying to introduce a bit of life into it regardless of the slightly erratic results, rather than just going through the motions and playing it exactly like the record.

Waters looks a bit of a buffoon though...!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• i wondered if he was trying to sabotage it becasue although they say theve kissed and made up, they actually havent!
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    In DG's defence, those two videos were filmed 17 years apart, and I imagine that aged 65+ we'd all have a few off days!!
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I realise he's being doing it a long time, but he could have just been a bit nervous.
    It happens to all of us at times especially the first song
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Maybe he's scared of heights.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Little to no rehearsal, that's all.  It's still really good IMO, just not quite as good as the Albert Hall or Live8 versions, but it's still more musical than almost every cover I've heard.

I was at Live8- the only time the "Proper"  Floyd played together in my lifetime. Fucking awesome.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    it could have been a while since he played comfortably numb....and maybe having a off day.....could have been bad mix back to him through the ear monitor or anything like that...when you dont have the sound its detrimental affect on your playing....i dont think hes doing bad with all the youtube vids out this is one of the only ones he looks and sounds uncomfortable....no ..i dont think hes loosing it...just having a off day that could be due to various reasons...
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    The version of Comfortably Numb that DG's been playing post Roger Waters is quite different from the album version - the end solo goes on a lot longer.  Roger's version is much nearer the album version, and without rehearsal DG had to, in his mind, 'cut it short' rather on the fly, with unfortunate results.

I saw this when it first hit youtube;  he was repaying the favour that RW did by turning up to duet 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' at a small charity gig.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr Gilmour seems to have been around forever, he's certainly accompanied me all the way on my musical journey. The one thing I've always admired about him is his phenomenal "touch" , instantly recognizable and on occasion breathtakingly beautiful. This clip perversely reminds me how good he is, because when he slips a small percentile off his mark, it's like the end of the bloody world. 

This clip also reminds me personally how old I'm getting, I saw them perform this set at Earls Court on it's first outing... what a show. Is Mr Gilmour losing it slightly? Of course he is, we all are. 
    8-}
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I still enjoyed it even if it's not his best performance -  that's a big pressure gig though - apart from where he had to stand there won't have been a lot of adjusting the monitor mix or time to get into the gig....  just straight into a huge and probably emotional moment so I can forgive him being slightly less than perfect :)
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Like so many from that era and before, we are all getting older and we do things differently, making adjustments here and there to accommodate arthritic joints etc, etc. 

We all have off days, there is no reason why our Heroes shouldn't do the same. I have seen various heroes of mine on some blinding gigs and then seen them die a death on other occasions. Name of the game I am afraid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013

It's entirely possible the second clip is actually this guy: http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertainment/2013/05/05/minnesota-man-tells-hospital-hes-pink-floyds-david-gilmour-hospital-says-ok/

Alternatively, Dave Kilminster may have his family at gunpoint.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    I was there! Imagine the pressure he was under for that moment, he wasn't even playing the rest of the song, just pop up in front of how many people and launch straight into one of the worlds most well known solos it's no wonder he may have choked a little. I don't think any less of him for it, he's only human.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    I'm thinking "Walk on part, and it wasn't his gig" to be fair it wouldn't be like he was familiar with the Waters touring set-up. 
    I don't think he has to answer to anyone for the odd performance that doesn't come off in his usual seamless fashion, dude is 100% pro and I doubt that anyone anywhere has coaxed more out of a pentatonic scale than him. ^:)^

He probably has more tone in his turds than most mortals could dream about having. :))

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    edited August 2013
    Good

Then I'm convinced

God lives on
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Not bad, not great. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523

I never got far enough into a Pink Floyd song to even realise they HAD a guitarist.
    Will someone tell me what time he starts? Only me kebab's going cold, like.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5845

I think around at the 5:44 moment, he stumbles a bit on that run down the Pentatonic and I think it shook him a bit, like he's thinking in his own head "F*ck, I can't believe it".

Considering the size of the occasion, I do think he did his damn best to recover it, albeit with a couple more mini glitches. One minor fuck up like that can freak out even the most experienced I suppose.

I love D.G by the way.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Having just watched it, it was no where near as bad as I had expected based on the OP's comments. The reaction from the audience when they realised it was actually Gilmour singing was very moving, even watching it on my iPhone. I can't imagine how it must have felt to DG. One thing's for sure, I bet he felt a considerable weight of expectation, which probably did make him nervous. As others have said, his playing is usually so perfect, even the slightest slip is very noticeable.

I wholehearted agree with ICBM; Rogers is embarrassing. If he can't find anything better to do with his hands, stick to playing bass....