Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should we get rid of Facepalms?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
As I'm sure most of you have noticed one of the things that makes theFB different from most forums is our "Reactions" system.

This allows you to mark a post with one of several labels. My impression is that in general they have been well received and we've tried to ensure that they are unobtrusive for those who feel they are a bit too web 2.0 for their liking.
The exception to this is the "Facepalm" status which has been mentioned a couple of times in the Feedback section. 

My intention with this feature was that it would provide a method to indicate when someone was being a bit daft in an anonymous and lighthearted way. Some of the feedback we have received is that it's effect might instead be to discourage debate and encourage bullying. 

In the spirit of "By the community, for the community" that we want to foster here, I'm throwing the question open to the floor. 

Should we get rid of facepalms?

If the consensus is yes then we will remove it and replace it with either a "Thanks" or "Agree" button. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    I like facepalms. I wish I had more of them.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    viz said:
    Shazam!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680

If the consensus is yes then we will remove it and replace it with . . . "Agree" button. 
    This gets my vote
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    FACEPALMS.  They must stay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I look at the face palm as exactly what you said, lighthearted and a bit of a laugh. Anyone that takes it personally should either grow up or grow a pair. With that said, if anyone dares to face palm me http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/11E10273-82E7-49F5-B8DE-F63ADD3509E9-3706-00000295C23323B8_zps48706e00.jpg
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Shazam!

Lol :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I look at the face palm as exactly what you said, lighthearted and a bit of a laugh. Anyone that takes it personally should either grow up or grow a pair. With that said, if anyone dares to face palm me http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/11E10273-82E7-49F5-B8DE-F63ADD3509E9-3706-00000295C23323B8_zps48706e00.jpg
    Its tempting, but I'm probably quite easy to find so LOL

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    bigjon said:

If the consensus is yes then we will remove it and replace it with . . . "Agree" button. 
    This gets my vote
    And mine

• Someone's given one to me. Given that I never say anything that isn't entirely sensible, they need to go....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I don't mind them, but would prefer an agree button given the option.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited August 2013
    Agree. The icon could look like this: +1
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    edited August 2013
    Could we not replace facepalm with a button named "twat". That would be fun. Seriously though, I don't mind facepalm, you need balance. I would then replace Wisdom with +1, as there is some crossover between the two but I think +1 makes more sense to most people.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited August 2013
    I like the facepalm.

The only problem is that you can't give a Lol and a facepalm to the same post. Some deserve both :).

You can't give yourself a facepalm either... you should really be able to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I like 'em and I look forward to getting many many more

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I like them. I've always wanted an "unlike" or "dislike" button on Facebook. This is ours.  I think that it's unlikely to turn into bullying - within this community anyhow -  and I'd say only remove it if that DOES happen rather than based on speculation that it might happen.

• wordywordy Frets: 67

I have seen the 'thanks' and 'groan' and 'rep' buttons almost ruin another forum I was on, so I did wonder about ours when I saw them.

On that forum, you had a handful of sad people who really wanted to be 'thanked' and given 'reputation' (they really do exist), and so would just post all the time, meaning the forum became dominated by exactly the people you'd rather it wasnt.

I'd also say there was a bit of bullying at some stage - and sometimes on this forum there is debate on proper stuff that people care about, and I wonder if anyone with a different opinion will just get utterly 'facepalmed' to death.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    bigjon said:

This gets my vote
    And mine
    Likewise.
    <space for hire>
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited August 2013
    digitalscream;9853" said:
    thumpingrug said:

bigjon said:

monquixote said:

This gets my vote

And mine

Likewise.
    Me too

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Where's the politeness gone ?

Free the THANKS !!!!!!!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    Jalapeno said:
    Where's the politeness gone ?
    Let me introduce you to the Internet :D
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom