swapping out Humbuckers for P90s

What's Hot

I've got a project idea in my head and could use some solid advice.

Ideally I'd use a guitar that was already routed for P90's but one train of thought is to use a humbucker routed guitar and swap for P90's.

The guitar would be refinished anyway, what are my options, what's the implications or the best way to go about it ?

Say an SG, a 335, a 339 something like that, swap the humbuckers for P90's.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    The are HB sized P90s around.  BKP do one, and IIRC, Mr Ash does one too.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    yeah, that's the answer I was expecting, not quite what I was looking at, but it is the grown up answer.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Bare Knuckle MQ and Pig 90 are great hum size options! Plus you have the option of always going back to humbuckers if you fancy it. Doesn't quite have the same look as cream soapbars though I guess.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    edited May 2016
    I once had some with cream acrylic tops, like an open bobbin rather than a covered pickup.

They looked pretty cool

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    If it's a humbucker routed guitar and you are going to refinish in a solid colour, I would plug the holes with matching wood and re-route them for P90's.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Even filled and refinished, you'll probably still see the outlines of the old holes if the finish sinks at all - it's hard to avoid.

Given that humbucker-size P90s are easily available it really doesn't make any sense to modify the woodwork, to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2817
    I've got a guitar with an Iron Gear Alchemist 90 - another solid humbucker sized P90 option.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    i have some Lollar humbucker p90 kicking around here...bloody narvellous they are but not needed if that was of interest drop me a pm....cheers