Conference calls

What's Hot

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    edited June 2016
    A business conference call is no more distracting than "are we there yet?", really?

As above, idle chit chat is one thing. A proper business meeting requires focus. That can't be given whilst driving at the same time, one or the other will suffer, most likely the driving focus. Ergo, not a good plan as far as I've noticed.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25493

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I see the rozzers on the blower all the time, whilst eating donuts and drinking coffee
    Monkey see, monkey do? That makes it OK then.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Axe_meister;1095435" said:
    I see the rozzers on the blower all the time, whilst eating donuts and drinking coffee
    Yeah, course you do. Because that's all the Police do, eat donuts and sit waiting to catch people.... They get specific driver training and only use the phone or radio when on the move where absolutely necessary.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    edited June 2016
    Adam_MD;1095430" said:

How is using hands free to talk on the phone anymore distracting than talking to someone else in the car?
    Some studies have found that using your phone while driving, hands free obviously, is worse than drink driving. Having a conversation with someone in the car is completely different - they can see what's happening around them so they can stop talking if you are too distracted, and you can easily tell them to shut up if you need to. Not so easy on a business conference call or important phone conversation.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10360
    edited June 2016
    I was driving my girlfriend to work the other day and she was talking to me about her recent accounting exam and asking me about discounted cash flows and internal rates of return whilst I was driving - at least twice trying to think about that (and not even taking about it) my forward observation dipped and I had to reverse back to allow cars through the other way. Very small matter indeed yes but if I'd carried on like that who knows what I might have done.

I'm sorry but as a fellow road user, I don't think your business is more important than my or fellow drivers' lives
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    I take the odd work call when driving (bluetooth through the car's system, entirely hands free apart from pressing the answer button on the steering wheel). But I wouldn't want to sit on a conference call while driving if I was on for anything beyond 95% listening.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    Some teleconferencing , some video conferencing, use Fuze on my iPad. We have a video link room for talking to people in prisons although I rarely use it. Never whilst driving. Had someone else do it recently and it was very annoying - lot of noise and if they lost signal you'd get the Barry has left the conference announcement followed a second later by Barry has joined the conference. By and large people seem to keep to the point more than in an actual meeting so I'm fine with them. Had a teleconference thing yesterday about 80% of which was irelevent to me so caught up on here at the same time, which would be harder to do if they were all in the same room... :\">
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Using handsfree while driving is OK for simple calls. Conference calls are a step too far. And bloody irritating to other people on the call who have to make allowance for the fact you are driving.

Joining a conference call while driving is just your ego pretending you and your time are sooooo important. But you aint. Grow up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Driving issue aside.

Conference calls are a modern curse, like email. People feel empowered to chip on topics they have no experience of, rarely read the briefing materials, and the higher up people are in organisations seems to reinforce the lack or preparation and need to comment.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10360
    Axe_meister;1095283" said:

Most business is done that way these days.
    If most business is done via telephone, where are you driving from and to that's so important? Stay in one place on your important calls and you'll make even more money by saving on fuel too
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30123
    Most of my business (euphemisms aside) is done in person. Conference calls are for people without work to do.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7491
    Sporky said:
    Most of my business (euphemisms aside) is done in person. Conference calls are for people without work to do.
    That's rather dismissive. If I was feeling as uncharitable as you I might suggest that your work can't be that important if it only involves people in a single country.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited June 2016
    Real-time working on bridge calls can fuck right off though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    My territory is Europe Middle East and Africa with headquarters in Dallas.
    When I'm not working from home I'm either in a car or in an aiport lounge when I have to get on the blower.
    I'm still working on my light speed drive so I can be in all places at once.
    Sporky said:
    That's rather dismissive. If I was feeling as uncharitable as you I might suggest that your work can't be that important if it only involves people in a single country.
    My work does not only involve people in a single country. Where did you get that from?
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    My work does not only involve people in a single country. Where did you get that from?

I was making a deliberately rash generalisation to indicate the absurdity of your statement. To be honest I had you pegged as a reasonably smart guy and I'm surprised I needed to explain that to you. At least now if it happens again you won't appear so confused.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I was responding to the rash generalisation that most business is done via conference calls - hence using the same "most business" phrase. I had thought that the "euphemisms aside" bit would clearly indicate a less-than-po-faced-tone.

To be honest I have no idea who you are, but clearly you're not a very observant chap or you'd see the context, know my fondness for flippancy, and not think that being a patronising twit would make you look superior. I assume if it happens again you'll be equally confused.

I will certainly concede that a smiley at the end of my post would have been useful for the slow amongst the audience. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Axe_meister;1096614" said:
    My territory is Europe Middle East and Africa with headquarters in Dallas.
    When I'm not working from home I'm either in a car or in an aiport lounge when I have to get on the blower.
    I'm still working on my light speed drive so I can be in all places at once.
    Your last line says it all really. I absolutely categorically guarantee that your colleagues would disagree with your self-perception. Your acceptance of your total lack of time management and communication control is what gives me confidence in my assertion.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    I do not get to manage my diary, a customer needs a call it will be at their convienience.