Broken PA Speaker - Any pointers?

What's Hot
Hoping that someone can help point me in the right direction....

I've got a powered/ active PA speaker (Wharfedale Titan 12A) which just stopped working. I was running a Digitech RP500 through it, not especially loud and the volume just cut out out. There was a fairly quiet "pop" accompanied by fairly noticeable "electric burning" smell.

I've checked the plug fuse and that is OK.

Any pointers as to what else i should check?

If I open it up, are there likely to be any dangerous voltages to worry about?

Any help appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10970

It's a class D bi amped system which is weight saving and efficient but quite complex in design compared to a normal class A\B amp. Most common fault would be caps failing but that,  unfortunately can lead to multiple failure all over the place and replacing any component isn't advisable unless you know exactly what your doing.

Unplug, open up and look for obvious things like ceramic resistors gone black and open circuit (if any) bad joints etc but burning smell can often be bad cap goes short and destroys everything around it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    I don't think I've worked on a Titan, but if it's like the multiple other Wharfedale ones I've seen - especially the powered subs - it will probably be caused by a cracked power transistor leg where it joins the main PCB, which can vibrate too much due to being poorly supported.

There are different results depending on which leg breaks, ranging from a resistor burning out (100-ohm if I remember correctly, but you won't be able to identify it from the charred remains!) to large-scale destruction involving multiple components and which quickly becomes uneconomical to fix even if you can work out exactly how much is toast.

There are no dangerous voltages inside if it's switched off and unplugged.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 643
    Thanks chaps. As long as I won't kill myself opening it up, I'm happy to have a poke around and will look for some of the obvious points listed.
    Sounds like it's likely to be terminal but thanks for the input.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom