saw for fret slots

What's Hot
I bought a saw for cutting fret slots last year. Not sure where from now, I might be able to find out. Anyway, it was recommended by someone, but I had trouble getting the frets in, the slots seemed fractionally too narrow.

For my current build I may just get a slotted fretboard, but I quite like the DIY approach, so what would be a good fret saw? I'll see if I think it's worth spending on. I'm only likely to make 2 more guitars so I don't plan on throwing tons of money on tools.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    I use one of these.

I then use a Hosco cleaning saw like this just before hammering in the frets.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    Fret tangs do vary a bit in width, so you either need to have more than one saw or be consistent in choosing fretwire.

Having done a fretboard entirely by hand I don't think there's any shame in buying one pre-slotted.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Having done a fretboard entirely by hand I don't think there's any shame in buying one pre-slotted.
    Hmmm... don't say that - that's my job for this weekend :( (borrowing a friend's saw)
    I didn't mean to suggest it went badly or was a particularly difficult task! You'll be fine. Measure it carefully, then walk away, come back and check the measurements, then cut slots until you feel at all distracted or stressed and have another break. Most likely you'll get through it in one go quite happily.

It was absolutely fine, and the guitar it's on is a jolly good one. But if I didn't have other means of cutting the slots I'd be quite happy paying someone else to do that bit - just as if I didn't have a planer/thicknesser I'd buy prepared body blanks.

Do the bits you can and that you enjoy. The bits you can't or don't enjoy you should either farm out or practice until you do enjoy them and can do them well. Guitars are not better (nor worse) by having more stress in their build. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462

yeah, they can be done by hand but it takes a lot of patience and re-measuring

if you do go this way make sure you use both nut-to-fret and fret-to-fret measurements and recheck  before and after slotting.   do it all twice in traditional measure twice cut once fashion.  That's 6 measurements before each fret slot, 2 after.  It can take a while but you get into a flow and its not so bad.   Do the same on a fanned fret and you double your work

but then you get pre-slotted boards or fret scale templates/jigs which do make it all quicker.  The downside is they severly limit your options.

I mix it up,  Standard woods in standard scales tend to be purchased pre-slotted just for time efficiency.   For alternative woods in standard scales I use the fret slotting jig.  For alternative woods in alternative scales, I fall back on the hand measuring and slotting or even paying someone else to do it

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    WezV said:

The downside is they severely limit your options.

to bugger it up!
  • WezV said:

if you do go this way make sure you use both nut-to-fret and fret-to-fret measurements and recheck  before and after slotting.

I sort of cheated and made the scale length the same as one of my other guitars so I just put the two boards next to each other lined up at the nut and marked the fret positions.  Hopefully it'll work out right...
    Nowadays (though it's been a while) I cheat and CNC the fret slots with a very small, very expensive router bit.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Not to mention the very expensive milling machine (or whatever it is???)
    The K2 was pretty cheap for a decent 3-axis machine.

Though yes, arguably rather expensive compared to a decent fret slot saw.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I do like cnc boards just for the faux bound look you can do. Very clean, and no reasonable way it can be done by hand
    edited June 2016
    like this

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1656
    I use a Dremel with a micro end mill using a router base to clean slots out (not cut slots), it saves a lot of time during a refret.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    streethawk;1104086" said:
    I use a Dremel with a micro end mill using a router base to clean slots out (not cut slots), it saves a lot of time during a refret.
    I'm fascinated! How do you get the accuracy? I would end up with tram lines....
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    I have the Pax one with the depth stop (G&W sell it and lots of other places). Cuts a 23thou slot when I tested it, but I have only used it to help cleaning out existing slots so far.

I just spotted it is the same one as Crimson supply.
    WezV said:
    I do like cnc boards just for the faux bound look you can do. Very clean, and no reasonable way it can be done by hand
    It does look very nice. With CNC it's actually easier to do that than have slots that go right through.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1656
    Andyjr1515;1104143" said:
    streethawk;1104086" said:I use a Dremel with a micro end mill using a router base to clean slots out (not cut slots), it saves a lot of time during a refret.

I'm fascinated! How do you get the accuracy? I would end up with tram lines....
    Finds its own way, seriously.

Get a couple of different diameters and you're good to go.