Changing direct mount pickups for mounting?

FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
edited June 2016 in Making & Modding
Hi all,

Purchased a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich pups on The Bay the other day, to go in my Kramer Classic. However, the pubs (when they arrived) look as though they have been direct mounted as the screw hole on the base plate is too big for standard 2.5 or 3mm nuts (i.e. those supplied).

I was going to re-mount them onto new base plates, but wondered if I could just superglue a new nut to the underside of the plate, and that would allow me to mount them (fnaar)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9083
    That might work, depending on what the base plate is made from. If cyanoacrylic glue doesn't hold it then I'd try Araldite because you can mould it around the sides of the nut. Alternatives: use a larger bolt. Make a second base plate and glue it to the first, or direct mount into the Kramer.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4265
    I've recovered a knackered pickup mount by cutting the ears off of an old cheap pickup and soldering them to the base plate
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I had that with a pair of Mojos I bought off ebay last year and ended up replacing the baseplates.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    sweepy;1103599" said:
    I've recovered a knackered pickup mount by cutting the ears off of an old cheap pickup and soldering them to the base plate
    That's what I do, also how some expensive minihumbuckers come from the maker (lollar)... but bolts fixed on the underside works just as well

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    Changed the base plates last night - dead easy, and works a treat! Don't need to wax pot them either from what I can tell, so that's a bonus.

Cheers guys!