Bushing/Pot Tightening Tool

What's Hot
Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool for tuner bushings for an paddle head acoustic guitar and for guitar pots? 

I've used a pair of pliers before and ended up scratching the headstock of the guitar, something I would like to avoid doing again!  

Are there any gizmos to do the jobs without spending too much?  

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited June 2016
    If you mean the hex nut that fastens the tuners and pots in place rather than the actual tuner brushings then a socket set should do the job. http://www.pablon.co.uk/ekmps/shops/pablon/images/britool-e032900b-22-piece-1-2-sd-metric-socket-set-[2]-625-p.jpg
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9083
    Spanners.. I use a ring spanner for pots because there's less risk of marking the varnish than with an open ended spanner.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    The best tool for this is a box spanner.

Normal sockets aren't great with thin nuts on pots and jacks due to the internal chamfer. (unless you grind a few mm off to remove the chamfer - this works too)

Thin ring spanners are usually ok too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Won't do guys, it just won't do.  Using the proper tools is not the way real men work.  Use a vice grips.  Deals with metric or imperial size nuts.  And heavy enough to work as a 'tapper in' aka hammer too.

:)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm even more confused now than before!  

Calling @ICBM... Any suggestions? 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    tFB Trader
    We sell these for £13 (plus postage if needed)
    It has 12mm 7/16" and 1/2" sockets 
    All that is missing is a 10mm socket or open spanner for enclosed guitar tuners but they are easy to buy

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    We sell these for £13 (plus postage if needed)
    It has 12mm 7/16" and 1/2" sockets 
    All that is missing is a 10mm socket or open spanner for enclosed guitar tuners but they are easy to buy

I've got one of those, but it suffers from the same internal chamfer problem as normal sockets. A few minutes with a bench grinder can fix it though and it's a useful tool once sorted.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    earwighoney said:

A proper socket set, plus a high quality adjustable spanner for awkward ones the sockets won't fit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

A proper socket set, plus a high quality adjustable spanner for awkward ones the sockets won't fit.
    Hmm.  I'll look that up. 

Cheers for the info though.