Gibson Custom Shop Price reductions starting as well?

What's Hot
prh777prh777 Frets: 145
https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/CSLP9PSL8883/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-custom-shop-cs9-les-paul-standard-in-dirty-lemon

Is this an indication the market wasn't willing to pay the near 50% uplift in prices?

4.5k down to 3k.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 719
    Then CS range was a bit of a dog weren't they...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    It's like "The Emperor's New Clothes"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7724
    Says 2015 spec, which seems to be a kiss of death.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14264
    Yea that is not the 2016 spec, looks like old stock that Andertons are shifting

• prh777prh777 Frets: 145
    They are 2015 spec (which isn't the crazy wide neck for the cs9 series) but the fact is they haven't sold at the massively increased for 2015 price.

Why were the CS range dogs?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    prh777 said:
    Why were the CS range dogs?
    Unpopular opinion perhaps, but I've never played a CS Gibson that I would term "a dog". Always end up falling in love and considering selling organs on the black market to pay for them.

The best recently was the '74 reissue Les Paul Custom in Coda. And IIRC there was a gorgeous '61 VOS reissue SG there too...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11723
    The CS range were unpopular because they weren't authentic to the classic recipe.  AFAIK the biggest gripe was that they had a different neck tenon.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7724
    crunchman;1113378" said:
    The CS range were unpopular because they weren't authentic to the classic recipe.  AFAIK the biggest gripe was that they had a different neck tenon.
    Yup, short neck tenon. Regardless of whether or not you believe it makes a difference, it's never going to wash if you're selling it as a '59 Les Paul repro at cork sniffer prices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2519
    So is a CS9 different to an R9?
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 719
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, it was a case of ....you can have a reduced spec R9 in 2015 for the same price as a 2014 R9 or you can give us significantly more money for a guitar in 2015 that's only a bit better than the 2014 R9.  Nuts.  A decent buy at that price I guess though.
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 521
    If the true historics start to be reduced to a more realistic level, I'll be in a world of trouble. Every one ive played so far has been superb but I refuse outright to pay £4,700 upwards for one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    I'd take a CS9 because I have owned Les Pauls with short tenons and long tenons and I couldn't tell the difference. Can anybody really?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Yeah those true historics are actually pretty good..
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    Nerine said:
    Yes....CS9 has a short tenon
    I'd take a CS9 because I have owned Les Pauls with short tenons and long tenons and I couldn't tell the difference. Can anybody really?
    Probably not, but It's the principal that they brought in the short tenon to push people into paying 7K for a True Historic. At 4.5K I want a company to be trying hard to make the best guitar they can, not messing about making something which will depreciate like a stone when they ditch the short tenon (which I think they already have?). 

Another totally dumb move by Henry.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    Lodious;1113571" said:
    chrisj1602 said:

Probably not, but It's the principal that they brought in the short tenon to push people into paying 7K for a True Historic. At 4.5K I want a company to be trying hard to make the best guitar they can, not messing about making something which will depreciate like a stone when they ditch the short tenon (which I think they already have?). 

I agree it was a dumb move, I just mean I'd be happy to take advantage and take the discount on a CS9.
    Lodious;1113571" said:
    chrisj1602 said:

I agree it was a dumb move, I just mean I'd be happy to take advantage and take the discount on a CS9.
    Yes, me too...at 3K they make a lot more sense if they sound good, 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11723
    Lodious said:
    Nerine said:
    Yes....CS9 has a short tenon
    To be fair it's a different, probably better, design than the normal non custom shop short tenon, but it's still a short tenon.

If you like it it's probably not a bad deal at £3k but if you do decide to move it on then you will take a hit on resale value.  You might think that it's one you will keep for life but there have been guitars that I never thought I'd sell that I have ended up moving on.  Personally I'd rather drop £3k on a second hand R9. 
  • I feel like now is the time to ask... I've seen this discussion for years and never actually known what a tenon is, and what the fuss is about! Could anyone give me the 'short' version? 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14264
    edited June 2016
    I feel like now is the time to ask... I've seen this discussion for years and never actually known what a tenon is, and what the fuss is about! Could anyone give me the 'short' version? 
    It's the piece of the neck that joins to the body of the guitar, long tenon protrudes further into the guitar body. read this, it may help: