What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3499
    Very interesting.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16612
    Fender or perhaps the Divided by 13 for me but I thought the little Roland Blues cube was punching far above it's weight and doing a great job of it 
  • Those bassbreakers fit into the market really nicely, and sound really good in that clip.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    I thought the bassbreaker & cube both sounded good too. The Dr Z & AD30 both sounding horrid. Basically it's not worth much as a clip as the way the amps are eq'd could change the results meaningfully. Also you've got them flat out so sometimes 15w amps are running against 50w. Add to that for example that some of them are swithchers but we get no idea of the cleans flat out, the ENGL screamer for instance has an excellent clean channel all the way up.
    Summing up, entertaining but meaningless ! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    The Dr. Z sounds awful.

I'm not keen on the Bugera, the Koch, the Engl or the Peavey, and if you'd told me there was one solid-state amp hiding in there among a lot of valve amps, I would have picked one of those as it, instead of the Roland.

I liked the Supro best, the 3 Monkeys, and the Fender I think in that order, and probably an honourable fourth to the Roland.

The Orange sounds good to me - for a very specific sound, that early-70s T.Rex to Status Quo tone. But not the most versatile sound… and not one I have a great deal of use for.

The Marshall sounded very ordinary for such an expensive amp.

Can't quite make up my mind about the Vox.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14198
    My preference was the 3 Monkeys by some way

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4328
    edited June 2016
    The DrZ is not a current amp. No idea why they included it, should have been the Maz.

Altogether pointless including it.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I liked the Supro most - the 3 Monkeys was pretty good too

Might have to try a Blues Cube - they sound great for the money
    Stop crying, start buying
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2482
    I thought the Bassbreaker sounded good, there. Only listening on my phone though.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8058
    edited June 2016
    The cube was the biggest surprise for me. No big conclutions drawn as close micing positions can radically change the tone and "fizz" depending where you place it.
  • I also liked the 3 Monkeys best all around in this test with good headphones.  The Supro was pretty close as well, but the Monkey gets the banana here for me.  The Fender was better than I expected too, by the way.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    Supro, 3 Monkeys and Roland were the only three I thought sounded good. 

Dr Z, I just don't get them. I've played a few and think that they are incredibly average sounding amps yet they seem to be so well thought of. Perhaps I have cloth ears.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I've owned a V22 and the OD channel is shocking, sounds like the kind of "metal" sound you'd get from a solid state starter pack amp from Argos.  The clean channel sounds pretty decent though and put a nice OD pedal in front of it and you're in a much better world sonically.  

This video has got me Gasing for a Blues Cube Stage again...
  • Much prefer his work with vintage Marshall's.

I personally wouldn't give house room to a single one of the amps featured. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom